Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berry's 185gr HBRN for Icore

Have interest to check out Berry's 185gr HBRN for Icore shooting minor power factor (thinking not pushing the limit in regard to complications) anyone run oal shorter to compensate for additional case capacity in respect to hollow base? Have WST, Hogdon clays, 700x. 625 has 5 in barrel. Thank ahead of time for feedback

Here is a recipe that shoots accurately and is around 145PF.  

My load is 4.6gr VV 310, OAL 1.230 with the 185HBRN crimped to .462.  Yes, not a typo.  This was found by accident but the extra crimp made the gun shoot under 2in. at 25 yards all day long.

You can probably use CLAYS as well, as they are close to the same burn rate.  310 has a more linear pressure curve than CLAYS, but this is not a hot load.  As always work up to my data and chrono to check to be safe.

If using Clays I would start at 4.0-4.3 grains. Like Doug says, it’s a bit more peaky than 310. I’ve gone to 4.5 to get one gun to function but that’s really unnecessary for a light load. I just had one gun that was sprung a bit heavy. 

I found that my 625 likes bullets that measure .452 a lot more than .451. Wonder if you stayed with a 230gr bullet what powder would work for you. 

1 hour ago, DougCarden said:

CLAYS, CLAYDOT ( identical burn rate), VV 310........This is the powder burn rate for soft 230 accurate loads......

Doug, is ClayDot as peaky as Clays? Just curious for future reference. 

3 hours ago, DougCarden said:

I personally don't know.  I was told it is basically a copy of CLAYS, and load data is pretty much spot on.  I use it in major 45 acp and minor loads only at this time.

Ok, thanks. I know that e3 is very similar also and I’ve noticed that it doesn’t spike like clays does. Accuracy just goes to pot. I usually get more vel from e3 than clays with the same charge weights but it’s not real powder measure friendly.