Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holosun SCS for competition

Lior

Hi All,

Started shooting M&Ps c. 2014 and started mounting red dots on them in 2018. Started with a dovetail plate mounted RMR, later progressed to a CORE + plate mounted SRO, before being side-tracked to the slightly more competitive Sig P320 X5 Legion platform (direct mount DPP). Now I'm interested in getting back into the M&P CORE (for sentimental rather than competitive reasons) and I'm pondering which optic to use.
I've had good experience with a Holosun SCS sight on a Glock 19 that I use mainly for carry (including long-distance running) and I wonder whether the optic can be considered competitive when used on an M&P. Compared to the SRO (currently very difficult to obtain in my region) there's a tradeoff between window size and mounting height. The SRO on the M&P CORE has an added benefit that its lens doesn't get fouled up from gas discharged through the loaded chamber indicator port. A Delta Point Pro gets sooty after 100 rounds to the point of distraction.
So should I mount an SCS on a competition M&P or stick to sights with bigger lenses? Does anyone have any experience with the SCS they can share?
Thanks for your attention.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2024 at 6:56 PM, Matt1911 said:

Can it be used well? Yes. It all depends on your ability to quickly find and track the dot in the smaller window. 

Indeed. After considering the pros and cons of the SCS, I went and installed a Delta Point Pro on my latest CORE. The SCS has a minor advantage of its operation button being activated by bucket competition holsters, to the shooter's annoyance. The DPP is still pretty decent for competition use.