Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Improving performance

sil7z

I've been staticly shooting different handguns for fun at local shooting ranges monthly since the start of the pandemic. Since that got old eventually, I've taken up IPSC, got my own guns and gear and now been at it since April 2023 with 39 match points accrued.

As a general policy I try to shoot all-alphas, while avoiding mikes and no-shoots. In hit-calling when I can't ascertain two good hits close-up, I put one or two makeups in. This has an effect of slowing me down. On longer stages and in worst cases, my time is double of the fastest and more experienced guys. What can I do to improve my times?

It's really hard for a critique with video like this. It would be better if you had someone else film you. From what I can tell you're over-confirming your shots, you drop the gun between targets instead of keeping it up. When you take a make up shot is it because the shot "felt" off when you pulled the trigger or are you looking for holes in paper? 

Thanks. I'll see at a coming match if anyone's up to that. Lowering the gun between sets of targets is a bad habit I'm having trouble shaking.

I make up when longer range shots "feel" off. Up close I try to look for the holes when starting to transition after making the shots.

When you are moving a significant distance, lowering the gun a little can make the movement better. But get the gun up before you arrive.

Those really close shots don't require much confirmation. Sometimes it can be enough to see the gun between you and the target when you pull the trigger: no need for a refined sight picture even. The Brian Enos book has a piece on developing your index (or something of that nature): dry fire (from draw) and start closing your eyes during the draw. See that you get a sight picture. Once you achieve the blind sight picture, see if you can get the sight picture on a target (or whatever you can aim at, at home) after drawing with closed eyes.