Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire Par Times

Navy87Guy

I just started practicing with Steve Anderson's book and my new PACT Club Timer III. I ran through the first series of drills, "guessing" at my par times and validating them with the timer. For the first three exercises (5 yd index, 10 yd index and 10 yd surrender index), my par times were all the same. Is that typical? Should I expect some kind of variation between the different drills? Based on my work with the timer, I'm pretty confident that the times are accurate -- not just "wishful thinking".

Thanks.

Jim

Jim,

Your par times for the 5 yard draw should be faster than the 10, simply because an acceptable sight picture appears quicker on a closer target.

This is more true with standard sights than with open guns, although the time in open should still be faster.

I have had days where I could dry draw to a 10 yard target as fast as I could a 5 yard, but sadly it is not every day. ;)

SA

I just want to throw in a reminder. Regardless of you par times your technique should never suffer to make the par time. If you rushing to make a par time instead of getting the correct sight picture everytime you will enforce bad habits. Its nice sometimes to just draw when you here the beep with no par time. Just to reinforce correct technique etc.

The par time will get you focused on speed which is not good. Your focus should be what your seeing and that will allow you to know when to squeeze the trigger even in dryfire. Once you have correct technique mastered(something I'm still working on) your focusing on being smooth and relaxed which will result in some great times. I learned these things last yr after Steve Flex held me down and beat in my head with a sledge hammer.

Flyin40

I just thought about this some more.

What I was trying to say was don't let beating the par time be your sole focus everydraw on every drill. I made that mistake last yr early in the season. You want to beat the par times based off of smoothness and being relaxed. Its always fun to crank it up some too but with a focus on speed comes no visual patience, rushing, not calling the shot. When you do these things in dryfire they will directly effect your live fire. With a feeling of wanting to get to the next target as fast as possible(even in dryfire) led to some habits that I'm still trying to break. I now want to get to the next target only after I place a bullet in the correct spot and I know I did by seeing exactly where the sight was when I squeezed the trigger. I have a long way to go but by the end of last season I just started getting a taste of what real shooting was.

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

I do most of my dryfire practice without a PAR timer to constrict me. The point about doing the excercise correctly with no regard to time is a very important one. After you are sure you are doing things properly, the PAR timer can help you see improvement as it is occuring. I reserve checking my progress with a timer for the end of a practice session to see where I have progressed. I do not use it to blindly test my ability to get something done before the second beep sounds ;-)

Drawing to a smaller target can require more refinement of your sight picture. It can all be done in the same time, but usually the times of smaller/further targets are a tad slower.

What are your PAR times right now?

The par time isn't used to create your draw, it's used to determine whether it is improving. :)

One flaw with my first book is that it assumes you have a decently established draw and simply provides the structure and motivation to improve it. This is by design.

Someone who needs to re-evaluate or establish their draw should not attempt to do so initially under the constraints of time.

Can you tell I've been writing the next book? :)

SA

The par time isn't used to create your draw, it's used to determine whether it is improving. :)

One flaw with my first book is that it assumes you have a decently established draw and simply provides the structure and motivation to improve it. This is by design.

Someone who needs to re-evaluate or establish their draw should not attempt to do so initially under the constraints of time.

Can you tell I've been writing the next book? :)

SA

Steve,

Your book was far from flawed. Can't wait until the next one is out. I'll looking forward to it.

Flyin40