Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet options for TiteGroup

Seanzky

On 12/4/2023 at 6:43 PM, Seanzky said:

Interesting. So for gamer loads, how does everyone like TG? Is the smokiness something folks just put up with and reserve for outdoors? I've learned that it can be pretty close to N320 in feel, but the smokiness is crazy.

Shooting 9mm 125-135 power factor & with Bayou or SNS coated bullets outdoors I have never seen any smoke related issues that had any effect on my shooting IDPA/USPSA/Steel or just plinking. Titegroup is advertised as being more velocity consistent than most (I can't confirm or deny), I think that TG being a faster powder than some alternatives can be an advantage in reduced power loads as far as getting a good gas seal (leading) but haven't proven that yet. 

If TG is what you can get, then use it.

Here's my list of preferred powders in order of preference for 9 minor coated bullets.

1. Sport Pistol

2. N320

3. Clean Shot.

4. W244

5. TG

They are all high-density powders, at 130+ PF feel the same and feed consistently from Dillon Powder measure. 

As far as smoke goes, different manufacturer's coatings smoke more than others. Blues seem to be the least while ACME was the worst. I have also noticed the more crimp one uses seems to contribute to more smoke. I believe it has something to do with the coating abrading a little bit more as the bullet heads down the barrel. Therefore, it burns sooner.

What I did find is TG seems to cause carbon to stick to my gun and make it harder to clean off. Maybe the extra heat, or something else in its formula. TG does leave a bigger stain on the powder measure tube the others.

Again, if TG was all I could get then I would use it. 

Speaking of TG, though, is that oily film that coats these kernels the reason why they shoot very dirty? I wonder why they have that. I don't care to know if its an accelerant or what its purpose is, but I wonder if that why they burn dirty.

For now, I've switched over to XT Bullets until N320 becomes available again. Then I'll go back to my preferred coated bullets.