Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How deep to seat bullet

Poconojoe

On 11/15/2023 at 4:47 PM, Poconojoe said:

Forgive me if I don't know the proper terminology. 

9mm, 124 grain, Berry's Hollow base, flat point, thick plate (HBFP-TP).

This is a plated bullet. It does not have any lube grooves.

I'm wondering what a safe seating depth would be. I want to make sure I seat the bullet deep enough. 

I did the plunk test with my barrel and it's plenty fine even with very little of the bullet seated into the case. It definitely needs to be seated deeper. Anyone know what an acceptable depth would be? 

I want it deep enough, but not too deep where it builds too much pressure. 

Thanks,

Joe

Joe:

I'll try and jump in with my $.02 worth.......

After starting my 9mm reloading adventure many years ago, I decided to go with the heavier bullets.  Primarily 147g.  I then decided to switch to 124/125 and was really surprised at the decreased OALs I was encountering with various bullets.  After a lot of research, I decided to try and stabilize at 1.125".  All was well until I started shooting a CZ Shadow 2 Orange; and it required a 1.080" OAL to meet my "plunk" requirements!  I actually developed a load at that OAL which grouped under 1" at 20yds using the Ransom Rest.  So I standardized with that OAL as my Match load which used Precision Delta 124g JHPs.

Later on, I started competing with a Sig P320 MAXX;  and after installing a KKM match barrel, I stayed at that same OAL and bullet.  I did switch from VV N320 powder to VV N330; but still had excellent success with the 1.080" OAL.

And now, I'm using the same combo with just a slight adjustment to the powder weight in my Limited Optics 2011 pistol!  If you take the time to measure the OAL of several FACTORY 124/125g loads, I think you'll be surprised at just how short most factory ammo is when using this bullet size/weight.

My recommendation is to take YOUR BARREL, along with a few dummy rounds, and find what the MAX OAL is for YOUR BARREL using your preferred bullet(s)!  I've always used this procedure regardless of pistol type:

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=103620.0

Once you've found your preferred OAL, then you can look at the load manuals for your powder and interpolate a safe starting load and work from there to determine what your pistol likes!  IMO, finding the right velocity will overshadow any minor changes in OAL.  A good Chrono will prove invaluable during load development!

Also attaching a pic that helps illustrate how different bullets will require a different OAL in the SAME BARREL!

Sorry to be so long winded; but hope this helps!

;)

9mm Max OAL.png

@Poconojoe Just FYI, from the Berry's FAQs...

Where can I find load data for your bullets?

Load data from any load manual or website can be used. Full-metal jacketed, lead bullet, or plated bullet load data can be used as long as the following standards are adhered to:

• The data contains the correct grain weight of bullet.
  • Berry's max recommended velocity is not exceeded. (This info is displayed on bullet boxes and product webpages.)
    • Standard Plate Bullets Max Velocity: 1,250 fps.
    • Thick-Plate Bullets (TP) Max Velocity: 1,500 fps.
  • Do not over-crimp the bullet. Crimping so tight that bullet deformation occurs, or plating is separated causing visible exposure of the lead core will cause tumbling, key-holing, and reduced accuracy.

Load data containing bullet descriptions such as Plated (P,) Berry's Bullet (BERB,) Total Metal Jacket (TMJ,) Copper Plated (CP,) or CPJ (Copper Plated Jacket,) refers to plated bullet data.

Cartridge Overall Lengths (COL) are found in the load data being used. DO NOT EXCEED SAAMI MAX COL SPECS.

For SAAMI MAX COL specs please click HERE.

Here are websites with load data information:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

So they are saying not to exceed SAAMI specs for COL, and you can use any load manual data, making sure you don't exceed 1,500 fps.  @HOGRIDER's idea of making dummy rounds and checking in your barrel is a good idea for checking OAL, along with checking that it chambers from mag as well.

You can use your powder manufacturer's load data for a starting and max load, and use a chrono to verify you are within max velocity, and to get the performance you desire.  For Bullseye, Alliant has some load data ... https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeList.aspx?gtypeid=1 Looks like 4.3 - 4.4 grain, so you could likely start with that and not be anywhere near the 1,500 fps max.

I'm not sure of the Solo 1250 powder,but it seems like it is for shotguns, from a quick search and a thread on this forum as well (

)

HTHs

On 11/17/2023 at 9:32 PM, HOGRIDER said:

Joe:

I'll try and jump in with my $.02 worth.......

After starting my 9mm reloading adventure many years ago, I decided to go with the heavier bullets.  Primarily 147g.  I then decided to switch to 124/125 and was really surprised at the decreased OALs I was encountering with various bullets.  After a lot of research, I decided to try and stabilize at 1.125".  All was well until I started shooting a CZ Shadow 2 Orange; and it required a 1.080" OAL to meet my "plunk" requirements!  I actually developed a load at that OAL which grouped under 1" at 20yds using the Ransom Rest.  So I standardized with that OAL as my Match load which used Precision Delta 124g JHPs.

Later on, I started competing with a Sig P320 MAXX;  and after installing a KKM match barrel, I stayed at that same OAL and bullet.  I did switch from VV N320 powder to VV N330; but still had excellent success with the 1.080" OAL.

And now, I'm using the same combo with just a slight adjustment to the powder weight in my Limited Optics 2011 pistol!  If you take the time to measure the OAL of several FACTORY 124/125g loads, I think you'll be surprised at just how short most factory ammo is when using this bullet size/weight.

My recommendation is to take YOUR BARREL, along with a few dummy rounds, and find what the MAX OAL is for YOUR BARREL using your preferred bullet(s)!  I've always used this procedure regardless of pistol type:

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=103620.0

Once you've found your preferred OAL, then you can look at the load manuals for your powder and interpolate a safe starting load and work from there to determine what your pistol likes!  IMO, finding the right velocity will overshadow any minor changes in OAL.  A good Chrono will prove invaluable during load development!

Also attaching a pic that helps illustrate how different bullets will require a different OAL in the SAME BARREL!

Sorry to be so long winded; but hope this helps!

;)

9mm Max OAL.png

Thank you! 

Not long winded! The more info the better and I appreciate everyone's input on their experiences. 

I found a chart listing the coal at a mere 1.060 and one for 1.050 for the flat point 124 grain bullet. I thought those were really short, but guess not. I was originally figuring around 1.083 an additional 0.023 compared to 1.060. Is 0.023 really much of a difference? I don't know. Maybe I'm being too picky or too precise?

On 11/16/2023 at 10:46 AM, 4n2t0 said:

Always determine your own OAL, never use the OAL's listed in manuals or data.

You can make them any OAL that works, with min to max charge weights, as long as you're using published data. Remember, always check your barrel(s) (plunk & spin).

Thank you for your input!

On 11/16/2023 at 10:23 PM, 4n2t0 said:

The OAL is useless because that measurement wasn't tested in your guns barrel. In fact, most OAL's in data/manuals are derived from loads shot in a universal receiver (example video below).

People worry too much about OAL and pressure, especially when it starts to get short, but there's no cause for concern. Always determine your own OAL (plunk and spin), make sure the rounds cycle properly and fit the magazine (usually only a problem when you're loading really long).

Thanks. That all makes sense.

On 11/17/2023 at 9:21 AM, Boomstick303 said:

Something that is not being discussed here is feed quality.  The same OAL is going to possibly feed different from pistol to pistol depending on where the bullet impacts the feed ramp in relation to a given OAL.  Not only should you be insuring the bullet's OAL fits the chamber of the barrel one must look at how the OAL interacts with the feed ramp.  @CHA-LEE did an rather lengthy write up on here that explains it well.

Good info. Thank you.