Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me pick an optic for production optics / IPSC

Hi all

I have been shooting production with my Shadow 2 for 2-3 years now, and want to try shooting with an optic. I am based in the EU, so unfortunately many gun relating items are pretty overpriced. 

I have considered a bunch of different optics, but think I have it narrowed down to 2, and would really appreciate any input 

SRO - discarded due to price (~1000 USD)

Sig Romeo 3 XL - discarded due to price (~900 USD)

Burris Fastfire 4 - I like the different reticle options, but I am not convinced of the durability (~550 USD)

C-more RTS2 - seems like the window is slightly smaller than the others (~550 USD)

Shield RMSx - I have tried looking through the 8 moa version, but due to my astigmatism it looks much bigger. If I pick this, it will be in 4 moa (~550 USD)

Holosun 507 Comp - I suspect the 2 moa may look like 5-6 moa due to my astigmatism, but in case it looks sharp there is also the 2/8 dot/circle combination (~500 USD)

I am thinking of getting either the Shield RMSx or the Holosun 507 comp. I may be leaning slightly more towards the Holosun, as the brightness is adjustable which might be nice to avoid too much brightness for the astigmatism. Any input is greatly appreciated 

When I look through a red dot, I see pretty much what is in the right picture. I did once look through a C-more slideride though, and saw a very sharp and perfect large circle (I think it was minimum 10 moa)

image.png.555ec96d2bca1bd39b9732b946350ae2.png

I have a 507 Comp, SRO and Burris Fastfire IV. The FF4 is a pretty good optic and I have it on my backup gun that was cut for a Venom originally. Great optic and fairly durable so far but only about 1k rounds through it. I did drop it once taking it out of the bag and it didn't lose zero.

The SRO is a 2.5 and I run just the 2.0 dot on the 507 Comp. The 507 is crisp. The 8 circle around the 2 is nice too but I don't use it often. It is a hard choice between the SRO and Holosun honestly. I've had great luck out of both and the SRO has about 2 1/2 seasons of USPSA Carry Optics without any issue. The Holosun just the past few months but no issues with it and it has held zero.

Even if money is not an issue the 507 Comp is very hard to beat, IMO.

I would say you should probably opt for the Holosun.

I haven't had good experience with the C-more RTS2 surviving very well on slideride guns. The shield RMSx leaves a lot to be desired since it doesn't have any manual brightness adjustment. I had a lot of difficulty shooting indoors with it. It's also not terribly durable. I dropped it optic-side-down in the safe once and it did not like that very much, lol.

I had an issue with my 507comp a few months ago, but Holosun had a new one in my hands in less than 10 days.

I still prefer 5moa SROs over anything else -- but 1k USD is a pretty ridiculous price. Holosun will probably be the way to go.

An alternative to the C-More might be the Delta Optical MiniDot HD 26. This sight supposedly comes from the same factory as the C-Mores and was recommended to me by one of the most popular German gunsmiths as a better alternative. It's holding up great on my Shadow 2 OR.

I'm in the same boat as you. If the price weren't so incomprehensibly unreasonable in the EU, I probably would run SROs. I will order the Holosun come Black Friday.

I started using a Holosun 507 Comp last week, after shooting them on few of my friends guns previously.  It’s awesome, very big field of view.  I ended up choosing the 2moa dot only.  2/8 combo seemed too large.  I think the size of the window and clarity is what really did it for me.  

Just a quick update

I went ahead and bought the holosun 507 comp, and mounted it on my shadow 2. I definitely need to dry fire some more to get the indexing just right, especially weak hand.

I just sighted in the optic at 27 yards, and did some quite decent 10 shot groups. It is definitely easier to shoot accurately with the optic, since you don't need to worry at all about sight alignment. I occluded the dot entirely with a piece of tape for all the shooting/dry fire so far, to promote complete target focus. 

The 8 moa circle is fairly well defined, despite my astigmatism. It has roughly the same size as the 2 moa dot in my eyes, as the dot looks pretty blurry to me. I expect I will use either the 8 moa circle on its own, or the 8/2 combo

On 11/6/2023 at 3:46 PM, Production_shooter said:

The lack of manual brightness adjustment on the Shield RMSx would eventually annoy me I think, even though I only shoot outdoors 

I rarely shoot indoors and some days I adjust brightness several times. I wouldn’t own a dot I can’t adjust brightness on.