Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ISO Specific 1911 grip panel style

VeilAndrew

As I'm getting into shooting single stack, I'm finding myself missing the aggressive texture on my Shadow 2 patriot defense grips and on steel and aluminum aggressive 2011 grip modules.

Does anyone make an extremely aggressive aluminum grip panel with a mag release relief for 1911? The mag release relief is extremely important to me, but I guess I could live without it if the texture was extremely aggressive.

I'm currently using LOK G10 bogies and just don't find them aggressive enough for my preference.

You asked about aggressive aluminum grip panels, and I figure you’re probably asking for the texture and the weight vs most typical 1911 grips, so I will offer these two non-aluminum options:

If you like grips with a pattern texture, the Shooting Sports Innovations 1911 BITE Grips are very aggressive:  https://shootingsportsinnovations.com/1911-bite-grips/

If you prefer a more random or sharp texture, the Shooting Sports Innovations 1911 DSP BITE Grips with grip tape are excellent: https://shootingsportsinnovations.com/1911-dsp-bite-grips/

These have been on various 1911s of mine since they first came out and I like each one for different reasons, but both can be filed down in specific places if they create hot spots or tear your hands up too much.

Should weight be an important feature for you, these grips include spaces for tungsten plates so you can tailor the weight of your gun from 1/2 oz to 5 oz in just a few minutes and you can even choose where the weights are located (towards the top of the grip, bottom of the grip, front of the grip and/or rear of the grip) to balance the gun how you like it.

Oh, they are TechWell magwell compatible, too… but I stick with my Dawson ICE magwell with SSI’s left-handed Bottom Feeder insert.

I'm running the Techwell Posi-tech grips on my 1911 and love them. i found the lok bogies on my cz to be ok but these to be grippier, and i absolutely love the shape that funnels your hands up higher and the awesome shelf area on the weak hand side is exactly where i want the most agressive part. 

https://techwellusa.com/g10-positec-ergonomic-grips.html

the one thing i found was my medium hand size didnt always deactivate the grip safety so i pinned it and problem solved. 

i also am getting into the 2011 platform soon so i got the SSI bite grip too but so far prefer the positech. we'll see if that changes after getting to know 2011s.

15 hours ago, N3WWN said:

You asked about aggressive aluminum grip panels, and I figure you’re probably asking for the texture and the weight vs most typical 1911 grips, so I will offer these two non-aluminum options:

I asked for aluminum because I find that nearly all g10 options aren't aggressive up to my preference. Those BITE grips look like they're what I'm looking for, though.

I'd rather not add more weight because I'm really quite happy with the weight of my gun right now -- but thanks for the additional insight.

I also run the Dawson ICE and I know these grips will work with it. I know one of my friends has the exact same setup on his Bul Armory SS gun.. just didn't come to mind until you brought it up.

14 hours ago, DavidSeavey said:

i also am getting into the 2011 platform soon so i got the SSI bite grip too but so far prefer the positech. we'll see if that changes after getting to know 2011s.

What do you find to be the difference for them?

so i got the bite and positech grips a couple days apart and never got to live fire the bite before i just ran the positechs. the bite is more square like an oldschool 2011 grip, and in my hands the very small time left some hot spots at the edges of the raised pattern so i was going to soften them a touch but wanted to wait to mess with it until i received the other set coming.  got the positechs and immediately loved the feel so live fire tested first with them and have thus far stayed. the positechs also need the top grip panel bushings to be swapped to slim size so swapping between the two grips was a little annoying trying to a/b.

but positechs are not a 2011 shape copy, just an interestingly contoured grip that both funnels your hands up the gun and has a really good rear facing grippy surface that my weak hand grabs right onto.  the bite grips dig in well too but i just never got into testing them properly. 

both sets can be weighted up.  i added about 4.5 ounces of lead shot in epoxy in my positechs so i'm just under max weight. 

i may find that after shooting 2011s the bite tuned to my hand offers a more seamless transition between them, and i'll check it out when i get there. looks like they sell a grip tape version now too that i may have to try.