Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TK vs Power Custom pin

Squirrel45

S-45:

I have broken both, several times.

Which is better?  

Honestly I am not sure but here is something for you to consider.

Before I sent my 627 to TK because it would lock up, break firing pins, etc, it broke every extended firing pin I put in it without prejudice.  

Sent the 627 to TK and have had it back for eighteen months now with the same firing pin going strong.  No idea the thousands of rounds I have put through it since I got it back.  I would say in the range of 15K.  No light strikes, no broken firing pin.

So I believe the longevity of a firing pin in a revolver is based on how well the revolver was made and tuned and maybe the loads.  Mostly how well the revolver was made and tuned in my opinion.

I just got two each TK firing pins in the mail last week.  Put them in my kit and if I need one, I have it.  I don't tempt fate.  Parts fail so if the firing pin in that blaster finally breaks, I replace it and move out.

I had a choice between PC and TK.  I went with TK.  

GG

Edited by gargoil66

The Power Firing pin comes in the REV IT UP kit.  I measured the Power Unit compared to the APEX pin and the Power is just a tiny bit longer.  I have no experience with the TK unit but I know it is well made.  I have almost 4500 rounds through the gun with the Power FP and have had no issues once I figured out where to set the strain screw for my primers.  I do recommend changing out your firing pin spring out once a year if you are dryfiring/shooting a lot.  That is a little spring and who knows how long they really last.  I have broken one and that puts you out of business really quick.

4 hours ago, DougCarden said:

The Power Firing pin comes in the REV IT UP kit.  I measured the Power Unit compared to the APEX pin and the Power is just a tiny bit longer.  I have no experience with the TK unit but I know it is well made.  I have almost 4500 rounds through the gun with the Power FP and have had no issues once I figured out where to set the strain screw for my primers.  I do recommend changing out your firing pin spring out once a year if you are dryfiring/shooting a lot.  That is a little spring and who knows how long they really last.  I have broken one and that puts you out of business really quick.

If you run a light action the Apex FP Spring is the lightest I've found.  I've tried Factory, Apex, TK, RP and C&S and really like the C&S best with an Apex FP Spring.  I've broken them all AND has several FP Springs collapse, split and fail.  Doug is right about changing them.  I try to put both in new at the beginning of the season and keep spares in my bag.  But I do shoot a bit more than normal, put it this way my 1050 is trying to break me or me it!

Now for the IRC!