Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Accessory Confusion

Abinadi

I have been browsing the web for about a week now looking for accessories for my Glock 35.  

1.  I have 3-10 round mags and need to buy more but I am having a hard time trying to decide whether to go for the preban hi-cap (that have outrageous prices) or go with the 10 round.  

2.  After I decide that I was looking for magwells.  Should I get the heavier brass or the lighter aluminum?

3.  Once that is decided I don't know if I need base pads.  If I do then the problem is getting base pads that do not extend the mag capacity but just provide a pad to the bottom of the mag when they are dropped.  It seems that everyone has base pads but they all extend the capacity.  I just need a pad.  

4.  Lastly, should I replace the guide rod?  Will it be legal for USPSA competition if I do?  I have seen the plastic insert that fits inside the existing factory guide rod and I have seen the metal rods.  If it is legal, which way do I go?  

I really do feel sorry for anyone who has to read all this mess but I sure whould appreciate the help.  I am just getting started and am completely ignorant as to where to get this stuff.  If links could be provided in the responses with a description as to what I need to look for, that would be incredible!  Thanks!

My thoughts:

1.  sounds like the gun will be used primarily for competition, so it depends on which division you plan to shoot.  If USPSA limited, you will need hi-cap mags, if you shoot Lim-10 or production, the 10 rounders are all you'll need.

2.  depends on whether you want the extra weight or not.  Most people prefer the heavier brass magwells.  I prefer and use the ligher aluminum well.  

3.  Lightning Strike and, I think also, Arredondo make whats called +0 pads, which extend the length for reloading ease but don't add capacity.  Keep in mind if you shoot USPSA production, you can't use even the +0 extensions.

4.  You can replace the guide rod and be legal in all USPSA divisions.  Many people leave the guide rod stock, but I've always preferred a metal rod.  I like the noncaptured model because I use a lighter recoil spring than stock.  Many also use a tungsten rod for a bit of extra weight out front.  I have one, but probably wouldn't spend the extra money next time, and just get the full length stainless rod.

5.  Everything mentioned above with the exception of the mags is available at

http://www.brownells.com

Good luck with the 35.

cpty1 - excellent and thorough response!

Abinadi - which class do you plan to shoot? If you plan to reload or even shoot most commercial ammo, my first modification $$$ would be spent on a reduced power striker spring and perhaps a trigger job like those from fellow BE posters at customGlock racing (Matt?). Trigger work is legal in all USPSA classes (though IPSC productio will require a heavier pull). A reasonable trigger (consistent 3 lbs or less) is important to really fast accurate shooting in my opinion.

Whatever class you choose, cdnninvestments.com has preban Glock 22 and Glock 35 10 round mags for sale (something like $16.99 for the post banned jobs).

Some additional thoughts - the magwell adds needed weight to the frame of the gun. I happen to like the "Seattle Slug" rather than a full size add on magwell. It adds just enough weight for me. Most of us that shoot Glocks have found a 13# spring to work well also. A full length tungsten GR does add needed weight to the front.

I run my g35 fairly stock.  I tried a tungsten guide rod and it kinda screwed up my timing (muzzle heavy...and I wasn't used to that).  I took it out.  If I were to try another, I would add some weight to the back to balance the gun better (mag well and/or slug)

Thanks guys for all the info.  Since I am very new to the USPSA sporting venue, (I have been into sporting clay competitions for a while now), it will be to my benefit to get it right the first time and stick with it I suppose.  You guys have given me an idea of what I need to do.  Thanks again,

Jeff Simmons