Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New RL1100 High Primers

13 hours ago, xxratchetxx said:

Have you seen how backordered they are and what the secondary market is on Dillon dies? These Lyman dies are supposed to be top-notch and, aside from this odd style for depriming die, appear to be just that. 

They are "top-notch" however tuning your press to function at a high level means price is not what makes things work. 

After years of using a Dillon 9mm for sizing I recently switched to the Redding Pro die on recommendation from this forum. Reduces "coke bottle" on finished loads. However I do not decap with this die I use the FW Arms self-centering decapper. 

If I were to decap and size together, I would use the Dillon die or maybe the new Mighty Armor die because they both use a spring loaded pin and have the ability to easily replace it. Note: I wrote the new MA Die because the older ones weren't very good and didn't size small enough to give good neck tension.

What's the point? In spite of what the press manufacturers want us to think we have to tune the press and dies to make them work. This includes finding the dies which work for us.

14 hours ago, ddc said:

I've been using the Lee sizing/decapping die for quite a while now. I have no complaints.

It does allow for setting the decapping pin to whatever depth you desire.

Agreed. The only problem I have with the Lee dies is the pin getting pushed too high. I've never been able to get the collet tight enough to hold the pin down for the tough primers.

For the price you can't beat Lee dies.

Gotcha. I made sure not to adjust the die body as I didnt want to affect the sizing function. Im going to take a look at the threads where the pin attaches to the rod. That would explain the issue. If it was, I'm willing to bet the pressure needed to deform the brass and create the initial problem also damaged those threads. 

I want to avoid separating the case prep and the loading due to time/life constraints. Maybe one day when I'm retired. 

20 minutes ago, xxratchetxx said:

I want to avoid separating the case prep and the loading due to time/life constraints. Maybe one day when I'm retired. 

I makes a lot more sense if you're automated. I don't know if I'd do it otherwise.