Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster regs, what does IDPA mean by "butt" ?

IHAVEGAS

"All IDPA legal holsters must hold the butt of the firearm clearly above the top of the belt. Concealment and cant angle rules apply" - Maybe they mean backstrap, maybe they mean magazine well opening? Not familiar with the term being used with handguns. 

I think most people consider the butt of the grip to be the bottom of the grip. So the entire bottom of the grip must be above the belt. Google big butt revolver grips LOL and you'll kind of see what I'm talking about.

So that would mean as long as the base of the grip was above the belt if the gun was canted hard part of the front strap could be below the belt. At least that's the way I read them but I am far from a IDPA rules expert LOL

Edited by RJH

I don't have an answer but I was curious where the grip of my P320 X5 was with respect to my belt.

Using a RHT holster with a Blade Tech Stingray Loop attachment the entire front strap of the gun is above the top edge of the belt.

I agree that the use of the term "butt" is a little ambiguous and open to interpretation when talking about handguns.

For USPSA Production division the rules are a little more explicit. They talk about the "heel of the butt of the gun is above the top of the belt" thereby allowing the use of a drop offset type rig.

Given all that I think the @RJH interpretation makes sense.... but... ask your AC is safest.