Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier Procedural Penalty?

SPINGE

1 hour ago, SPINGE said:

Personally I can see a competitive advantage gained, a right handed shooter pivoting on their left foot to engage T3 then to T1 is seems to be beneficial T3 is right there after you pivot, avoiding going 12 feet to the left then coming back to T3 after reload (maybe I am wrong). If a right handed shooter were to pivot on their right foot the draw is doesn't seem to be as quick, again, IMO!

You can turn and draw either way. People will normally "turn into the gun" as it minimizes potential issue with "drawing while facing uprange" but it's not a requirement. And choosing wider transitions because of the strong preference for left-to-right or right-to-left is also a choice. Both lefties and righties can shoot this classifier the same way, all targets are open. Of all the elements, the reload is the least problematic because there is way more than enough time for slight body adjustment - the eyes go off target, to the magwell and back to the new target anyways. 

i believe at my club we saw the discussion waktasz posted from many years ago, and we have allowed people to turn either way and shoot the outside targets in either order because it didn't make sense that the stage designer would want to intentionally penalize lefties. It is unfortunate that no one has ever gotten around to updating the wsb to make that more obvious to the extremely literal-minded.

I read pretty much the entire thread from the now 9 year-old post.  It included the following:

jdd817

Members

Posted November 10, 2014

The designer of this classifier occasionally shoots at the club I shoot at, and was there for a match where we had it set up. He specifically said it was never his intent to specify order on the second string, regardless of how it may read.

Based on this, I think the designer's intentions are clear ... Shoot T1 or T3 first - It dosen't matter.  This is just another case of unfortunate/poor wordsmanship in the writing of the stage procedure.  (I've been in the sport 30+ years now ... I've had time to see this more than once!)

Why do we have to overthink this?  As has been stated before, by numerous officials in authority, the WSB cannot override the rules.