Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions For Ppc Revolver Shooters

revchuck

Folks - I'm working on an article for publication (or rejection :)) on reloading for revolvers. Any help here will be appreciated.

How many rounds does an active PPC revolver shooter go through annually in practice and competition? Does anyone use a hotter load than .38 wadcutter or a handloaded equivalent? Which frame size is most often seen - K or L? Is there a distinct preference for one frame size over the other, and if so, how come? About how many rounds between rebuilds, and what wears to require the rebuild?

I expect to get a wide variance of answers...I'm just trying to get a ballpark idea.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Edited by revchuck

Chuck, for whats it worth in Ky, Southern Ohio and In. I will get to shoot 10 to 12 1500 matches so thats right at 1800 rounds in actual comp. Practice I go through around 4000 more round's, reload the practice stuff use Nitro 100 clean and price is right. Have never seen a Hot Load as the rules state the bullet most have enough velocity to pass thru the target and backer board. And I have seen 148 wad-cutters stuck in the cardboard. Have seen more K frames since most guys bought there old duty guns ( a lot of Mod 10's) when there PD's went to Auto's or the L frame. My gun is a old Mod 10 with large grips if the rules were factory grips I would have to go with the L frame for fit for my hand. As far as re-builds can't help you there use a Clark set up and they build them right I would say with both PPC and NRA Action round's threw that gun I have on the plus side of 45,000 rounds of standard 148 WC and 158 RNL and that gun shoots better than any one who has shot it, I mean the stress is not there compareded to a open gun with the old 175 power factor IPSC ammo. Let me know if your article gets published love to read it. I like PPC try to shoot all the events but it seems to me its a dieing sport very few new shooters at least in the 1500 match the duty classes in the area are doing great but the 50 yard strings kind of turn new shooters off.

Merry Christmas

Jack

Let's see here:

In actual competition I shoot 17-18 matches a year, and average about 456 rounds per match (2x1500 (150 rounds each), 2xService (48 rounds each), 1xSemi-Auto (60 rounds)) for about 8,000 rounds in competition. In practice figure another 2-4000 rounds.

Nobody uses a load any hotter than it has to be. The only exception would be guys who use Department supplied ammo. They may use a hotter round because it flies better in their gun (usually 9mm we're talking about here).

I use a K-frame and see mostly K-frames, with a smattering of L-frames. Like Zookeeper said, most guys build their guns on Police Trade-ins, and the K-frame was far more common with the Departments.

I have no idea how often a gun needs to be torn-down/rebuilt/maintained. They seem to last a long time with standard care (i.e. cleaning). I've known guys who've had the same barrel for years. When something breaks, I fix it. Other guys may have their guns completely rebuilt every season because they have to much money on hand and are a little anal-retentive about such things.

I use a full-blown 1500 Model 10 (6" Shilen slab barrel, Aristocrat underlug weight, and Wichita 4 position sight rib) for the 1500 and a stock 4" Model 19 for the Service category. In the Model 10 I use Zero's 148 gr. HBWC over 3.2 gr. of W231 for about 700 fps. In the Model 19 I use Zero's 158 gr. SWC over 3.4 gr. of W231 for about 660 fps.

• 2 weeks later...