Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions For Bianchi Cup Revolver Shooters

revchuck

Folks - I'm working on an article for publication (or rejection, whichever comes first :)) on reloading for revolvers.

About how many rounds does an active Bianchi Cup revolver shooter shoot in practice and competition per year? What power factor do you load to? I'm guessing that about everyone shoots an S&W; which frame size - K, L or N? Is there a distinct preference for one frame size over the other, and if so, how come? About how many rounds between rebuilds, and what wears to require the rebuild?

I expect to get a wide variance of answers...I'm just trying to get a ballpark idea.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Edited by revchuck

I started shooting BC with a wheelgun, as I am sure most people have. I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can, but I cant garuntee accuracy. A lot of this will also be specific to my area.

1. How many rounds is always dependant on the shooter. With Action Pistol kinda falling by the wayside people are shooting it less now than a few years ago. A dedicated AP shooter with a schedule conducive to practice could burn 20,000 rounds a year. I did about 25k one year but I was hitting it pretty hard. 120pf minimum and a lil for cushion.

2.K frames give you a better trigger (some believe) and L frames are also very common. I'd call it a 50/50 split. My first Cup gun was a 586 with a tasco dot. Thats it. Some people just get a 6" 686 and put a dot on and go, I think that is why we see a lot of L frames, just that there isnt much to do to dress it up. A lot can be done, but very little must be done. I dont ever recall a serious shooter running anything other than a K or L frame. (anyone else feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

3. Rebuilds~ Few guys I know have ever rebuilt a revolver. They last long enough that if you wear one out, you replace it with an auto. Some guys have replaced shot out barrels, though how shot out they really were is subject to opinions. Sometimes the timing can get a little funny, and some Smith guns have a tendency to have 1 or 2 chambers that feel different from the rest, though that usually gets fixed before it gets shot a whole lot. Depending on what load combo you use I have seen several burned out forcing cones. Locally some guys decided it was Bullseye powder having a higher flame temp. or something like that, I never really could atribute it to anything. I know a couple guys that used other powders and still burned forcing cones.

Hope this helps, and if anything I said sounds like BS, feel free to ignore it and take the opinion of someone with higher seniority.

Rounds of practice is quite individual, based on funds, time and desire to do well. Whatever well means. To some well is better than previous match which could be a 1700 or a 1900 simply depending on equipment, skill level and what went wrong!

I have done a fair amount of revo shooting as a High Master in both PPC and NRA AP. I will say this. For revo's in PPC shooting factory equivalent swaged WC's the guns will last many tens of thousands of rounds. I have known of some approaching 100K and still shooting very well. Keep in mind for PPC the bullets only need to completely pass through the target so the loads are quite soft, i.e. 148gr WC at 670-750 fps.

Now NRA AP. In the early years the K frames dominated. This was also when most were shooting lead bullets. Those being either 148gr WC at around 850 fps or 158 gr lead bullets at around 780-800 fps.

When shooters transitioned to jacketed bullets, shooting 125 grain bullets at 1000-1030 fps they quickly learned that K frame guns would not hold up to thousands of rounds of this +P load under rapid fire conditions. Most K frame guns would have barrel failure with a crack in the forcing cone at 6'oclock. This is mostly caused due to the flat spot which has to be cut on the outside 6'oclock position of the barrel so that the cylinder yoke will clear when shut. "K" frame magnum guns i.e. model 19, 13 etc are only slightly stronger at this point because the barrel does not have to protrude through the frame quite as far, because of the slightly longer magnum cylinder. "K" magnum guns still will not hold up to AP jacket loads beyond maybe 6-12K rounds if that!

Thus, today most revo shooters who shoot jacketed bullets use an L frame, as the threaded barrel portion is much thicker, thus the cracking at 6'oclock is not a huge problem. A quick visual comparison of a K frame vs an L frame will illustrate the barrel thickness in this critical area.

As far as normal barrel life, without maintenance other than cleanning, in a revo shooting 120K+PF and jacketed bullets, AND maintaining NRA AP required accuracy would probably be less than 30K rounds. Correcting end shake, recutting the forcing cone and possibly setting the barrel back will extend the life of the barrel probably another 15-20 thousand rounds before accuracy starts falling off abruptly.

Hope this helps.

Martin

Edited by Allgoodhits

I haven't shot Bianchi but I have reloaded some rounds for IDPA in a K-frame. :lol:

I had to have my 3 inch model 10 rebarreled. The forcing cone was eroded too much to just turn the barrel, plus it was out of time. I bought the gun used and I think it had a fair amount of rounds through it before I got it. I shot it pretty hard for 2 or 3 years. Probably around 20,000 rounds per year of 147 plated bullets with enough Bullseye to make minor. Maybe this info will help.

Good luck on your article.

• 2 months later...
Folks - I'm working on an article for publication (or rejection, whichever comes first :)) on reloading for revolvers.

About how many rounds does an active Bianchi Cup revolver shooter shoot in practice and competition per year? As many as possible ... unfortunately for me approx 5000.

What power factor do you load to? 130

I'm guessing that about everyone shoots an S&W; which frame size - K, L or N? Currently using 627 V-Comp, have a 7 shot 686 being built.

Is there a distinct preference for one frame size over the other, and if so, how come? I wanted to stick to the smaller frame as it sits better in my hand but wanted the back up shot incase of misfire etc.

About how many rounds between rebuilds, and what wears to require the rebuild? Never rebuilt a gun yet .... if one breaks I would probably build a new one not rebuild it.

I expect to get a wide variance of answers...I'm just trying to get a ballpark idea.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Hope that helps Rev.