Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

? For Those Using A Dram Worx Replacement Hopper

While finalizing some ladder load testing (0.1g change), I would take additional time to weight out 10 charges and average.  Happen to leave the o-ringed Dram Worx hopper lid off while doing a specific average, and noticed some definite difference in the final weighed average vs having the solid lid in place on the hopper.

Unlike the Dillon stock hopper lid that contains a hole in the middle, the DW is a nice, solid, o-ringed air tight lid.  By having this confirmed difference in powder weights, I started to wonder if there was a sort of "vacuum" being created in the top of the measure that could affect the actual weights.  A Google search of reasons for the hole in the standard Dillon Cap took me straight to a thread that posted here 9 years ago:

Dillon Precision directly states this in one of the posts:

The hole is indeed there to help prevent creating a vacuum as the powder level in the hopper drops. It is a weak vacuum, but when the hopper gets low it can make a minor difference.

Has anyone here had a similar experience with the Dram Worx hopper?  When I was using the stock Dillon hopper/cap, I would always keep a piece of tape covering the cap hole; and remove it while loading.

FWIW:  I'm strictly using VV N330 powder; and seriously considering putting a small "vent" hole in the DW cap.........

Thanks for any opinions/feedback!

🤔

1 hour ago, 99mpower said:

Have you asked Dram works what they think? I run all Dramworx, but i always leave the lid off, because im constantly refilling the hopper

Yes, actually had a good phone conversation with Lance.

Since my hopper is in close proximity of the bullet and case feeders, I wanted to run it with the lid.  So I had a friend use his mill and drill a nice vent hole.

This 10 drop sample came out perfect with the vented lid in place.  And when I'm finished with my run I can stick a piece of tape across the hole till next time.  Guess I'm set in my ways; as this was how I used the stock Dillon PM for many years!

👍

4.3g Avg.png