Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag well for Cheely E2 grips and Dawson tooless mag bases

SM1986

Does anyone know of a mag well that works with both the cheely E2 grip and the dawson tooless basepads? Was asked about a used grip, but don't want to change out all my basepads if I can find a magwell that works with both....

Edited by SM1986

The tool less Dawson +1 base pads didn’t work with the E2 grip and magwell unless it’s on a 170 mag. I had to replace my base pads with slim ones from another company for my 140 mags. 

Maybe Dawson would consider making a slimmer tool less base pad, I prefer his base pads over the ones that use pins. 

8 hours ago, OPENB said:

The magwell that comes with the grip works with Dawson base pads. At least on my gun. Do you have reason to think they don’t?

Tried my mags in his gun and the base pads/ magwell didn't allow for the mag to lock in. The ones I have are the Dawson +1  and/or +1 SNL tooless. 

20 hours ago, SM1986 said:

Tried my mags in his gun and the base pads/ magwell didn't allow for the mag to lock in. The ones I have are the Dawson +1  and/or +1 SNL tooless. 

I’m using Gen 1 STI tubes and Dawson +1 bases, Grams guts. I get 23rds. and they lock in the grip. I have one Gen 2 tube, same set up that works great. 

I have a set of Gen 1 SV tubes that work as well, but are too long for the gauge. 

Maybe the plastic insert is different in some magwells?

4 hours ago, OPENB said:

I’m using Gen 1 STI tubes and Dawson +1 bases, Grams guts. I get 23rds. and they lock in the grip. I have one Gen 2 tube, same set up that works great. 

I have a set of Gen 1 SV tubes that work as well, but are too long for the gauge. 

Do you know which magwell you have? 

Regular hands

Big hands

IDPA/IPSC

These are the options with the Cheely grip. 

14 hours ago, HI5-O said:

Do you know which magwell you have? 

Regular hands

Big hands

IDPA/IPSC

These are the options with the Cheely grip. 

I just checked out the pics of magwells on Cheely's site, and I'm not sure. I'll try post a pic when I get home from work. I know it's the magwell that came with the grip, because I never changed it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 2:34 PM, OPENB said:

170s or 140s? you mention 23 rds Probably should have specified earlier that I'm shooting limited major 140mm mags in .40..

13 hours ago, SM1986 said:

170s or 140s? you mention 23 rds Probably should have specified earlier that I'm shooting limited major 140mm mags in .40..

140 9mm STI tubes, Dawson +1 basepads, Grams spring follower kits, plastic 9mm spacers. I set these up for Limited Optics, so I gauged them, and they all fit. Same parts except with Gen 1 SV tubes yielded the same capacity, but did not gauge. I forget to look at what mag well I have on the grip, I'll take a look when I can.

I guess STI could've made the 40 cal. mags too long to gauge, so YMMV.