Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do Ruger Revolvers Frame Stretch?

Trexy

I've heard that with a steady load of light and hot .357, after many founds (which is typical in competition), revolver frames stretch and there's nothing that can be done to save them. Is this typical with any revolver or with only certain ones from certain materials, certain brands, or certain calibers? More specifically, are there any revolvers that are basically indestructible no matter how much and what you shoot? For example, the Ruger GP100 or SP101? And how about the LCRs?

First, nothing is indestructible.  If you work at it hard enough you can wear out any pistol.  

S&W K-frame revolvers (M19, M66 etc) had a reputation for having their top straps gas cut and cylinder end shake develop by a steady diet of high pressure 125gr .357 loads but it took a lot of them.   The larger L-frame 586/686 frames were developed to greatly improve the gun's lifetime and succeeded. 

The Ruger GP-100 is basically an L-frame with the same (Ruger fanboys say it's better) durability.  The SP-101 is also very durable but smaller and not quite the equal of the L-frame/GP-100. 

The Ruger Redhawk and Super GP-100 are probably the most durable .367 revolvers made.

+1 to the above.

I have a 586 from about 1983 that I shot for years with a load of about 4 grains of Win 231 with a 160 grain cast bullet. It was rebuilt in about 2000 to replace lots of trigger parts at somewhere over 100K rounds. 

It was refreshed again in about 2017 or 18 to redo the trigger and freshen up the 7 shot cylinder I had put in it that was cut for moon clips and to get the peened cylinder notches fixed. 

Then it was sent to S&W for the firing pin bushing to be replaced.

It is still not worn out and I still shoot it from time to time. I generally shoot 20K to 25K / year when in full comp mode and this was my go-to comp revolver for several years.

Probably you will wear out before the revo does.