Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weight Lifting To Help With Pistol Control?

686+

I think the main thing, IMHO, is being physically fit. I will always remember the stage at the SC Sectionals where you shot an array to the ledt, ran 30 feet and shot an array to the right...THEN ran yur arse off 60-75 feet to engage a Texas Star. Those who were sucking wind showed it in their hit factors.

This also comes into play at big matches where you shoot all day. 12 stages in the hot August heat will wear anyone down...your physical fitness will dictate by how much.

I don't compete in shooting right now. Quite frankly instructing it for a living has really sucked all the joy out of it. Paintball ran it's course so right now I'm into martial arts again (the sport I left to shoot way back in 1996) and this time I don't compete. What I do do is play hitting dummy for UFC contenders Forrest Petz and Jeff Cox (Petz is fighting and maybe headlining the upcoming UFC fight in Cincy). To get in shape for that I do the conditioning outlined at www.rosstraining.com. Get into shape with this program, or the somewhat similar Crossfit, and I promise there isn't a field course made that could gas you.

Edited by John Thompson

Weightlifting a bonus...yes and no.

Last year, I worked at a jail, and lifted two hours a day, every day. Took all of the supplements, and really bulked up. The wife dug it, but the shooting did not. I found that my range of motion was hindered

Muscles need recovery time. Working with weights is basically a controlled injury, you need time for the muscles to not only RECOVER but to hypertrophy (grow). So working out everyday is best left to those who supplement with anabolic steroids to aid that recovery and growth.

Two days a week with weights is plenty.

That is true.

For another way to counteract that, I recommend never using the same workout routine twice (except rarely to chart improvement). There are countless numbers and variations of circuit workouts you can think of.

I also recommend circuit training with full body movements because you have less of an issue with isolation related injuries.