Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady Case Feeder setup tips

ColoradoNick

Just setup a Hornady case feeder for 9mm and looking for any tips or tricks with it. Right now about 1 in 5 cases isn’t seating correctly in the shell plate and tipping over. I’m using the plastic guide (part #77) to keep the case from tipping when it drops and that’s working well. 

19 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

Just setup a Hornady case feeder for 9mm and looking for any tips or tricks with it. Right now about 1 in 5 cases isn’t seating correctly in the shell plate and tipping over. I’m using the plastic guide (part #77) to keep the case from tipping when it drops and that’s working well. 

Here’s an image. Even like this the depriming/resizer die straightens it out 99% of the time and if I adjust my cadence a little it seems like I can get it to happen less. My mr bullet mini feeder shows up tomorrow and I want to get this dialed before installing that as well.

64F22D5C-933E-4A8C-9143-9DCF69EDC408.jpeg

Timing of the left pawl can help the shellplate advance a bit earlier which may help.  Go a quarter turn counter clockwise to start.  If you go too far it'll double click into position. 

Additionally, smooth out your last few inches of movement (with your arm)  with the handle.  I've found it I snap it into position too quickly it'll tilt too.  Practice a smooth even pull and push.

Edited by nkresho

Try changing the V-Block to a slightly longer one. It doesn't look like it is pushing the case into the shell plate far enough. They sent you an assortment for different calibers. I experimented with different one in my presses to find the one which worked best. The case has to be fully seated in the shell holder or the spring won't capture the case as it comes up as the plate indexes. 

Thanks.

It's greatly reduced the tipping case issue as well as the ones that tumble out.  The V block seems to be made to fit multiple calibers and not quite perfect for any one specifically.