Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Questions

SRT Driver

Here's a question for the CZ experts out there.

Recently took an EAA Witness in trade for some stuff. It's an early one, I think, the model # is EAA9. It is a fantastic shooter!! :D

What are the differences between a CZ trigger group and the EAA/Tanfoglio? I've heard there are some but haven't been able to find any concrete info.

Will CZ Springs etc work (recoil, main spring)?

Any tricks?

The trigger is around 3.5 lb SA and 8 + DA but VERY smooth. It doesn't seem that heavy but it could use some work.

If you go to Wolffe Gunsprings website..

they list the same recoil springs for both guns..compact, standard and longslide.

EAA has two different versions of guns..one that takes a short hammer spring and one that takes a longer hammer spring. The CZ also uses the longer hammer spring.

not sure on trigger group parts like the sear,hammer, sear cage trigger or trigger bar..was told they are different somewhat..but I do not have access to a EAA to do any measurements.

"What are the differences between a CZ trigger group and the EAA/Tanfoglio? I've heard there are some but haven't been able to find any concrete info."

Trigger pin sizes are different: the Tanfoglio uses a larger diameter ROLL PIN while the CZ uses a solid pin that is recessed and peened in place. Extractor: same story. Mag release & safety: completely different. Rest of trigger group: depends. some sears might interchage. EGW would know.

"Will CZ Springs etc work (recoil, main spring)?"

See above. Recoil: yes. Hammer: maybe.

"Any tricks?"

For the SA - the same tricks that work on a 1911 sear/hammer. DA is a little more involved: start with a 15 lb Wolf hammer spring.

• 2 weeks later...

EAA info. Brownells has springs. Go to, savvysurvivor.com ...very good tutorial on EAA pistols. I'm right handed ... moved mag release to right side. BE CAREFUL! when removing ANY roll pins, SPRINGS go flying. I cut one coil from mag spring for a easier release. POLISH parts ... works great( I use the "green" stuff from rock polishing store)(IF you move the mag catch to the right side ?? hold your finger over the very small hole on the left side of the mag catch AS the mag spring has very very small insert that will go "flying" when the trigger bar guide is removed) IF desired,you can polish the sear while it is in the group, without dissasemly(use a narrow, fine stone). While frustrating???? all springs can be removed and replaced using needle nose pliers and I try not to completly remove any roll pins and use a small finish nail as a guide on the opposite side for reinstalling the pins/springs. TIP... Don't work on these guns in a "cluttered area" springs WILL go flying(use a white sheet on the floor). To remove the sear group, you need to pull the saftey out, too do this,lift the end of the safety retainer spring end up and move it to the left or right (I use slim knife blade) so it's locked out of the groove. These guns are a great deal, cheap and you can do the work on them yourself ... if you wish. Reedsammo.com has mags/top ends/guns. A little flouresant paint fixes the front sight. Never used a super sight, did not see the need...? I've put a stop scew in the trigger to eliminate some over-travel BUT the trigger is made of VERY hard steel... wasted several drill bits. The small frame guns can shoot both 9mm and 40 S&W with barrel/slide/mag changes... you could shoot Ltd. 10 and production class w/ the same gun/different calibers. OF COURSE, use this information at your own risk! have fun! probably more info than you need???mike g

Edited by mike g

Flexmoney... The "baggie" is a great idea!!!. (The "springs arn't common and why have a gun down for a $1.00 spring???) I didn't EVEN get into converting the gun to single action....or.... "silver soldering" a lip on the safety too make it easier for us people with smaaaall hands to operate. OR the large frame guns which can shoot 9mm, 9x21, 9x23, 38 Super, 10mm, 40 S&W or 45 auto. So actually, I was reasonibly calm?? If I could get 28,29 rounds into them ...I still would be popin away. I've got my 9mm major STI gun up and running BUT am building a large frame EAA in 45 auto for LTD. 10 or beer can boppin. YOU CAN"T HAVE TOO MANY GUNS!!!. mike g

I just received 13 mags from reedsammo...all factory.. for large frame x $20 a pop. Used 3ea. in the 45 I just bought (Semi-wadcutters.... worked fine, no problems,AFTER I polished the feed ramp and SLIGHTLY changed the top of the feed ramp angle). IN the "OLD" P-9 days ?? I always used the long Wolff springs and could get 21 in 9x21 w/ mag extention. What are the mags/pistol doing?? What bullet are you using? Check out the savvysurvivor.com site, FREE info. mike g

What are the mags/pistol doing??

Two mags work beautifully. The others: follower sticks halfway down in the mag, bullets nosedive when they do push the rounds up. One bearly holds the rounds in the mag..the lips are so far apart.

No wonder EAA puts a note in the tag that "parts are sold as is" :wacko:

What bullet are you using? Check out the savvysurvivor.com site, FREE info. mike g

Zero 125 jhp, Win 124's and 115 White Box.

Sometime this winter I'll sit down and tune the mags. You'd think these were STI mags or something!!!

The gun shoot great but the mags aare really disappointing.

SRT:

Sounds like you have an older Tanfo Long Slide Sport (probably 1992-ish), a world class gun that basically was the cause of the P-9 craze in the early days. I am a 100% CZ person, oh yeah, I own 1911's and plastic guns but for competition its all CZ for me - with Matt and Angus out there to help you can't go wrong. Your gun is whats referred to as a small frame tanfo, won't take the hi-cap .40 mags that the "stock" uses. When these guns are dialed in, you will love yours. Here is the Problem, EAA, they really, truly stink, they have no commitment to IPSC or bringing the true Tanfo line into the states. I have your gun as well as a Tanfo IPSC Ltd an SA version of the same gun, theres no hope for more than maybe 13 rounds .40, but your okay in production. Go to the Tanfo Italtian web site, choose english, and go to parts, they have anything you need listed from sights to magwells to triggers. Pick what you want, they make a great fixed rear sight, which is what I would get If I competed with mine, then you have to email Eric Grauffel - he is a great guy, but the euro conversion rate is not good for us in the US of A. But Eric is your guy for any part from the true tanfoglio web site. Try and stay away from EAA, they are not committed to the sport like Tanfo is in Europeand CZ is in Europe and the USA. Final note, Beretta rubber base pads fits the small framee mags perfectly, problem is they aint Pd legal. Great gun but limited support.

Thanks,

Jon

SRT. Sounds like you need to do a little work on one follower,(600 sandpaper works). Look on the side of the mags...NO markings for 9mm) if they are true factory?/or/ maybe, you have 41AE mags too? THEY are marked as to caliber, (40S&W is marked 41 AE). On my small frame gun, I have both 9mm & 40 S&W set-ups(W/mags). The 40 S&W's (41AE) hold only 12 BUT this is ok for LMT 10 IF you shoot that class. SUPPOSEDLY?, the small frame 40S&W barrel fits the large frame gun 10mm (I don't have the 10mm slide yet, BUT even if not, The CONVERSION barrel is availible). THAT's my next project... I think I can get 18 +1 rounds of 40 S&W @ 140mm into the large frame gun.. which will work for LIMITED class....A $500 setup that is competitive with the BIG $$$$ guns. ANYHOW?, Use the mag lip specs on this site for the correct diamentions... maybe bent feed lips???mike g

Edited by mike g