Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SW 1911 Rear sight math problems

Supermoto

I have a S&W 1911sc commander.  For some stupid reason, SW used SW Gen 3 rear sights that are "Novak Style" 

These 3rd gen sights are short. Around .330 from bottom of Dovetail to top of the sight.

A gunsmith cut the slide for true Novak and installed an adjustable Novak rear.  But he only cut the dovetail wider and not deeper,  The Novak adjustable is .450 DT to Tip.

Then the Gunsmith cut the novak front sight deeper into the slide than the factory sight.

So now I have a rear sight that is too high and a front is too low.

With basically a .210 Front sight(.240 but cut deeper into the slide) and a .330 off the slide rear, all the way adjusted down. I am 4" at 10 yards, 8" at 20

So I put a .270 front sight on, which is .240 off the slide, This got me down to 2" hight at 10y.   

Now the easiest way to solve this is to get a .300 front sight.  But that .270 already looks like a skyscaper. And this is for a carry gun

So what I am looking for and can't find is a super low Novak rear sight.  .495x60*  Dovetail

Dawson doesn't make one and neither does Novak.

Anyone know of a .330 bottom of dovetail to top of sight Novak cut sight.....maybe something that is designed for another gun but could work here?

I have about enough interest in this gun to replace the rear sight.  Welding the slide and having it cut correctly is way beyond my attention level for this gun. 

thanks

Mike

20 minutes ago, Supermoto said:

The dovetail on that is .475.  To small.  but I will reach out to Fusion.  Since they have so many sights, they might know of something...

spec says .495

You are looking at an LPA cut,, this is a LPA made sight but for a Novak cut. click the link and scroll down,, says its a .495

Is this sight compatible with the Fusion 1911 slide standard dovetail (.495 x 65 degree)?

Yes this will fit the novak standard dovetail