Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

617 mount questions and more

Makicjf

I sold my R8, I simply felt like shooting it was work. I'm so much more comfortable with my 627 5 inch for OSR and Open.

I'm picking up a 617 tomorrow. I'm going to give redoing my RFPO classification with a dotted Revo a go.  My first go was with a Glock 44 and some jenky plastic frame mount thingy.  Hopefully I can pull it off!

I intend to use the same mount (Alchin) from the R8.

Memory says it will fit an L frame: is that correct?

I always dehorn the hammer, but is the Apex hammer or the Rev-up a good way to get the pull weight to 8ish lbs?

I've been shooting mini mags because the G44 runs literally 100% with them.  Is there a more reliable and/ or easier to ignite rimfire ammo for revo's?

Besides polishing internals and finding the minimum strain screw set for good ignition , any tips?

Oh, nearly forgot... What 22 snap caps do I need to get for dryfire

Jason

Edited by Makicjf
Oops

The JM mainspring and Wolff 11lb rebound is the historical go to for starting out with a 617. Keep the factory firing pin. The apex hammer not only gets rid of the spur which shouldn’t be there to begin with, but also retains the weight, and helps reduce the pull. I think I’m in the mid to high 7lb range. 

I have a rev up hammer to try in a carbon fiber 617 test mule later this year, so no comments there yet. 

Yes the Alchin mount fits fine. 

There are 2 mini mags weights. My 617s are very accurate with one and terrible with the other. Ignition was good with both, but the 500rd blue box federal is the best I’ve found personally. Although, I also don’t always go digging after I find something that works 100%, I just buy a lot of it. 

13 minutes ago, MWP said:

The JM mainspring and Wolff 11lb rebound is the historical go to for starting out with a 617. Keep the factory firing pin. The apex hammer not only gets rid of the spur which shouldn’t be there to begin with, but also retains the weight, and helps reduce the pull. I think I’m in the mid to high 7lb range. 

I have a rev up hammer to try in a carbon fiber 617 test mule later this year, so no comments there yet. 

Yes the Alchin mount fits fine. 

There are 2 mini mags weights. My 617s are very accurate with one and terrible with the other. Ignition was good with both, but the 500rd blue box federal is the best I’ve found personally. Although, I also don’t always go digging after I find something that works 100%, I just buy a lot of it. 

Thank you sir!  Is the JM spring the one with the rib on the back and groove on the front?

Jason

Screenshot_20230421-192445.png

I picked the 617 up after Steel Challenge.

The trigger was surprisingly light, but had a catch towards the end of the pull.

I ran 100 rounds through it before I brought it home.

I installed the dot, knocked the whoopty doo hook of the end of the hand( there's the catch!) And polished the rubbing parts. I backed the strain screw out and went back to the indoor range 

Once I got it zeroed a bit to the right and down, it put 10 rounds in an inch "ish" scribble  circle at 15 yards double action. The lanes only go to 15.

I had one light strike on 40 grain mini-mags but don't think the round was fully seated. When I pushed it in it went off with a second strike On chamber is tight.

It's surprisingly light with an active trigger with the factory springs.

I'm going to run it a month or so as is, then change if I feel the need.

I'm really stoked about this Han Solo meets Indiana Jones blaster!

Thanks for the help!

Jason

Screenshot_20230422-161221.png

Edited by Makicjf