Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 Advice Needed : Shellplate "Pops"

(ETA: I did review all relevant topics here via a content search and did not find a solution)

I'm having an issue with my 650 and thought I'd inquire here among the Dillon hivemind.

I've been running several 650s for a few years and have quite a bit of time on the blue presses.

However, today I'm stumped.

I replaced the camming pin with an upgrade from Entirely Crimson - no big deal and the job was done is 5 minutes.

Now, after the case is resized in Station 1 and the shellplate rotates it to Station 2, it "pops" as it finishes its complete rotation.

Sometimes the "pop" is strong enough to knock a few grains of powder out of the powder-loaded case as it moves to the next station. It also occasionally knocks off the bullet sitting on top of the flared case as it moves to Station 4 for bullet seating.

Ironically, I've done the "Snowshooze" upgrades as well as a few from Entirely Crimson with the sole purpose of smooth shellplate rotation - and it did run very smoothly prior to yesterday.

I removed the shellplate to ensure there was no foreign material under it - same problem.

I went back through the manual and performed the casefeed cam and camming pin adjustments - same problem. (I adjusted the camming pin with a primed case in Station 2 per Dillon instruction)

Without a case, the shellplate cycles very smoothly, so obviously something is going on as the shellplate rotates from Station 1 to Station 2.

I removed the Station 1 locater and ensured it was debris-free. No improvement.

What am I missing? Before the camming pin upgrade, it ran smoothly and I've never had an issue with this press before.

The new camming pin functions as designed, so I'm can't seem to ID what could have changed to cause the problem.

Any ideas?

Edited by GunsandCoffee

Maybe too much detent spring pressure?  

Try removing the shell plate and detent ball bearing.  Remove the spring under the detent ball and clip a wee bit off at a time until you get nice smooth function without an abrupt jump to the detent. 

4 minutes ago, Part_time_redneck said:

You seem pretty certain that it’s due to the station 1-2 move. Just an idea. Have you been able to replicate the issue with only one piece of brass there or does it only occur with a full shell plate? 

The issue remains the same with just a single case or a full shellplate.

• 2 weeks later...