Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gearing up for Icore

Joe4d

Messing with my 929 6.5"  Had a .120 rear and no way in Hades the thing would zero..  Had a .146 I pulled off my 617 I put an alchin mount, and it was better, digging through my bin I found a new V blade .160 I swapped into the .120, since it was pretty worthless, and bent from the factory.
Front blade is .220 X .125 wide..  I actually like the V blades but even with the notch the square seems awful wide.
Looking at dawsons page I can go with the .100 wide, at .215,,  but they have a  .115 wide at .200 and think it might be too short.
Seems like with a 7.375 sight radius the .100 would be too narrow ?
Anyone using FO front with factory rear on a 6.5 " ? what are your thoughts on the blade width ?

Is there a reason you are trying to stick with a factory rear sight? I am running Bowen S&W "Rough County" rear sights on my revolvers with Toolguy's(Warren) .100 fiber optic sights on all my revolvers. That includes two 6.5' and a 7". 

Basically because I had factory stuff on hand , on other threads there doesnt seem to be a big advantage on after market rears worth the cost,, and I am also undecided on going to a dot or not. Plus ICORE match I want to shoot is in 7 days.
Have tried dots in the past and wasnt a fan in bowling pins and IIRC shot one USPSA match with them,, again didnt help me.
I have a 22/45 with a dot and shot a couple steel challenge and seems to be ok.  I put a dot on my 617 and most likely will shoot that. 
My 686 5" has a .100 Dawson front. I ended up taping the Smith rear to it hangine 1.5" off the back to get an idea of what a .100 front would look like with the 929's 7.375 sight radius and I liked it.. Would probably go .115 if it was available but .100 it is.. See how long it takes to get her and if I have time to install it.

I have a 6" M28 that I had Toolguy cut for a V Comp FS (dovetailed) it's a .130 x .240.  The rear sight is a factory .160 that I filed the notch down for better visibility and measures .130 x .095.  It gives me a good sight picture, but it's a tight one.

Depending on what you like, tight vs lots of light, it may be ok?

Below are some pix the 627 has factory .196 RS & a .125 FS, the 929 has an LPA & a .115 FS.  Might give you an idea.

627 .jpg

929 .115 fs.jpg

Thanks,, the front irons on these 2 new guns seem kinda useless. too wide really.. Also surprised the Performance Center 929 doesnt have that easy change bayonet style front ike my 686 does. Got the PIA have to drill out front... Probably bring the 617 with the port list reddot.. If wind ever stops howling (35mph) I have time to practice with the 22. Plus have holster and belt on hand for it. I dont have have a holster for the 929.
Did a bit of work on the 617 and actually got the DA to register on the trigger scale. I did have a light strike on remington bucket of bullets. 
Any one reccommend brand of 22 that is easiest to light off ? I have federal , CCi and winchester on hand.

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

Thanks,, the front irons on these 2 new guns seem kinda useless. too wide really.. Also surprised the Performance Center 929 doesnt have that easy change bayonet style front ike my 686 does. Got the PIA have to drill out front... Probably bring the 617 with the port list reddot.. If wind ever stops howling (35mph) I have time to practice with the 22. Plus have holster and belt on hand for it. I dont have have a holster for the 929.
Did a bit of work on the 617 and actually got the DA to register on the trigger scale. I did have a light strike on remington bucket of bullets. 
Any one reccommend brand of 22 that is easiest to light off ? I have federal , CCi and winchester on hand.

I can bring a holster for the 929 you can use.  35 mph that's a Kansas breeze 🤣.  In western Kansas the rifle guys shoot until the cleaning rod can't be retracted from the muzzle.  Kansas wind, there's nothing to stop it between the arctic and Mexico every time a polar bear farts, except a barb wire fence!