Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 22 or 23 recoil vs. XD40

dbritt066

Comparative perceived recoil - you have really knocked over a can of worms here! I will let those who have actually shot BOTH guns chime in and fight it out over which one they perceived as having less recoil.

However, in general, a given gun will have lower recoil (all else being equal - which it never is) if the bore-axis is lower.  Notice on Jeff Maass' site and on every article ever written on the right grip for IPSC that there is an emphasis on getting your hands "as high on the gun as possible". That is another way of saying "move hands closer to axis of the bore!".  

Now,  a gun with a very "low" axis of the bore is the HK P7; and while it is not generally found among the list of winning guns these days, few experts will argue that the low bore axis helps atenuate the gun's recoil. (please don't start that gas-assisted/recoil debate again - that is not relavent to bore axis - I only used HK as an example due to its bore axis).

An example of a gun with a relatively "high" bore axis is the Sig - there are those who shoot them well, but in general, the bore is much higher than would be ideal.

BTW, if attenuating recoil did not matter or allow you to shoot faster, there would be no difference between the times for Open and the limited classes - especially considering the dying class of Modified where one can compare compensated and non-compensated Major .40s.

The Glock and custom 1911s both do a good job of allowing a shooter a high grip; the XD is nearly identical to the bore axis of a Glock.  Where the Croatian made HS2000 (aka "XD") differs from the Glock is the shape of the grip.  The guns you mentioned are close - close enough that it will come down to persoanll preference. Sorry, but you will have to try them both out and decide for yourself.

While I own and shoot Glocks, I applaud the Croatians (err - Springfield) for launching there own competitions - even going so far as to supply the guns and ammo. Yeah, I know its motivated by marketing, but its still promotion of handgun shooting competition (i.e. practice for those of us who need more trigger time).  

'066

Carlos is right , you will have to decide that one on your own.Best thing to do is find a local indoor range that has rental guns of the models in question and spend an hour wringing them out.

The only XD I shot was a 9mm , it didn't feel any different recoil wise than a G19 . I suspect the 40's are comparable , ymmv.

MP

I have owned several G22s and G23s. I love the former but cannot shoot the latter. For some reason, the G23's recoil is different enough so that if I use my preferred grip, my right thumb hits the slide stop lever and locks the slide back. This happens about 30% of the time. Never happens with my G19 or G32. Go explain?

I got so sick and tired of it I traded my last G23 for a Beretta Elite.

(Edited by Krag at 6:37 pm on Nov. 14, 2002)

My G35 .40 I shoot in production with 135~140 PF has less recoil than any of the 9mm's most people shoot.  I let everyone shoot it and they all say its softer then their 9mm.

Tuning is the biggest factor in reducing the 'felt' recoil.

Worked at the gunshop Sat. and we received some HS2000s (AKA XDs) so I put one (XD9) on top of a Glock to copare: 1st, its the same size as a Glock 19, not a 17 or 34.  Second, if you line up the bores, the Glock 19 gives you a slightly higher grip than the XD9.  Difference is slight though.

As for trigger, well, the Glock's trigger re-set is significantly shorter than the XD. I still like the XD as a new design and think it has potential. Just pointing out what I discovered. Who is winning w/ the XD?