Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

arthritus in hands

turfgun

Not wanting to be "Johnny Raincloud" but I will tell you the truth...

As it pertains to me.

2019 late summer: Had pain in my hands and wrists every morning. Got so I couldn't pick up the coffee pot. Dr. said 'osteoarthritis'. Did 4 courses of Prednisone over about 6 months and it got worse.

2020 early. Started with a Rheumatologist. He started me on meds / low doses. Was running SC matches at my club. Couldn't use hands and other joints in the cold. Suffered through winter, set up but could only RO, not shoot.

2021 early. Trying to get started with SC but faltering. Not much use of hands, shoulders, etc. Got lots of suggestions for how to relieve it! Nothing worked. RA Doc increased doses to max and began to get better by late year. Still couldn't shoot anything but RFPO sometimes.

2022,  RO card gone. Optic Revo M ranking gone. Can't shoot revo much. Hands not strong and joints tight. Doc says "we caught it early, doesn't see any damage down the line." Also advises that "you can't 'build' RA. Do what you can when you can. Not a muscle which can be built."

I feel for you bro. Most thins will cause increased soreness and stiffness. Some will take days to recover from...

Find a good Rheumatologist and get tested, x-rayed, etc. Get medicine. I am back to centerfire autos and PCC. Can't draw the revo. But, there is always tomorrow!

Good luck in your quest.

48 minutes ago, Dr. Phil said:

Find a good Rheumatologist and get tested, x-rayed, etc. Get medicine. I am back to centerfire autos and PCC. Can't draw the revo. But, there is always tomorrow!

Good luck in your quest.

This is good advice. RA is not Osteoarthritis and has a different prognosis 

My Doc commented that Osteo can't really be treated except anti-inflammatory (which is what we take for RA so that's a no go). He said I have very severe cases of both.

Yippee! So I asked, "Oh the daily double. What's the trifecta?"

He said, "Osteo, RA and psoriatic."

No thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I had to give up my ASL bow because of autherritis. A few years ago I was reading a post on Leatherwall about this vary subject. One man came back and said he eats a handful of Walnuts each morning. Well I an’it into witch doctors or voodo magic but I gave it a shot. Took about 10 days but now I can make a fist without any pain. First and only time a natural solution worked for me. Now if it worked for my back and neck I would be in paradise

although it is not a cure,  cold laser therapy  from a trained,qualified provider, can  relieve pain and allow better function.

try to maintain the range of motion   t hat you have.  squeezing soft  rubber or foam objects can help with range of motion and strength of your muscles. as with any exercise program, start slow, listen to your body and stop doing what hurts.

without the severe pain, you can adapt your technique and continue shooting. good luck