Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spook's Hints?

AzShooter

Going through some of the older threads someone mentioned some hits by Spook on how to speed up your reload.

Spook I need all the help I can get and would appreciate your hits.

Also there was a link to a movie of you reloading. I can't get it to work. Could you please post that again.

Sometimes it's the simplest thing that I'm doing wrong that makes me slow up. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Hey AzShooter, do you use your left hand or right hand to toss in the moonclip? If left, then Spook and D.Carden are the two guys you should definitely be listening to. If you switch hands and handle the moonclip with your right hand, then Hopalong's smooth = fast style is a good one to emulate! Last I knew Cliff's reloading style was in transition, not sure what he's settled on.....

Mike

(P.S. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll try to send you the video of Spook doing the El Prez...might take me awhile to upload it off my hard drive with this ol' dial-up connection we have out here on the farm.)

Hi AzShooter!

Here's the link to the El Prez video:

http://www.rudenko.nl/oleg/movies/ipsc/bjo...-presidente.AVI

It doesn't show the reload in great detail though :(

If you have any questions about reloading I'd be glad to give you my views on them :) But, as Carmoney points out, I know one technique. I keep my revolver in my strong hand when I reload. I have worked a little with the other technique, but I wasn't really comfortable with it. I am 100% positive that both ways can be equally fast though.

I recently saw Saul Kirsch's World Shoot DVD and there's a good slow motion video of some reloads on that. Saul set up the cam the same way as with the Travis Tomasie reload vid. They're not the fastest reloads I have ever done, but the technique is the same.

Do you have any specific problems with reloading? I noticed most of my problems come from not looking at what I need to be looking at (seeing what you need to see ;))

Now that's fast. I finally got it to play using Apple Quick Time.

I too reload with the weak hand getting the ammo. Lately I've been working on watching the brass going into the cylinder and then switching my eye immediately to the target as I close the cylinder and start pulling the trigger.

I've also started making shure I don't twist the gun on the way up, keep the muzzel straight to the target I'll have to work on that but I think it might save a 10th or 2.

Thanks for the fast responses. Great video.

Thanks AzShooter :)

IIRC the reload was something like a 1.67 or 1.71.

Lately I've been working on watching the brass going into the cylinder and then switching my eye immediately to the target as I close the cylinder and start pulling the trigger.

Especially watching the clip go in is essential. Most of my fumbles come from expecting the clip to go in and closing the cylinder too early, instead of just watching.

The whole "smooth is fast" cliche really goes for reloading a revolver.

I've also started making shure I don't twist the gun on the way up, keep the muzzel straight to the target I'll have to work on that but I think it might save a 10th or 2.

I have also experimented with that. I found that it doesn't really matter, as long as you get a good shooting grip on the gun while going up and are ready to shoot the instant you get back on the target.