Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody have a slide sent to Nighthawk and cut for IOS optic plates? Looks sweet…

JoeyMac

Anybody here send a non-Nighthawk slide to Nighthawk Custom for their IOS optic plate setup?  

What did the cost and lead time look like on that work for sending in a slide of a different make?

I’m not too interested in the whole “swap the plate out to seamlessly shoot irons only again” feature … but mostly because interchangeable plates future-proof optics selections.

And the IOS just looks awesome:

a) It’s LOW.  So low in fact that you can cowitness the short factory iron sight … meaning it presents your dot with a natural draw and presentation.  

b) It (should be) STRONG.  Most plate setups and many direct mounts rely on very shallow screw thread engagements… especially on the extractor side.  A precision dovetail should offer more shear stress area than a couple of screws holding on with just a couple threads AND without the fear of stripping out tiny screws either.  And even cooler is that the IOS wedged shape dovetail is self-tightening in recoil against the slide rearward travel and forward stop. 

Edited by JoeyMac

17 hours ago, TK66 said:

I can't answer your first 2 questions but I can tell you that their mounting system is pretty awesome.  I ordered a TRS Commander with the IOS option and can't say anything bad about it.

Agreed. I prefer NHC IOS as well. I haven't tested their return to zero by removing the plate yet. Has anyone tested that?

So I found out;  cost is around $950 for the cut, one optic plate and a DLC slide refinish … AND a 4-6mo turnaround.

I really dig the mechanics and look of the IOS system and was pretty dead set on getting the modification and was expecting to hear something in the $600 range. 

Now I’m having second thoughts. That’s probably over a grand with shipping each way when a Chambers Custom RDSM sits low enough for a cowitness, costs $300 out the door, and takes less than a week. 

18 hours ago, JoeyMac said:

So I found out;  cost is around $950 for the cut, one optic plate and a DLC slide refinish … AND a 4-6mo turnaround.

I really dig the mechanics and look of the IOS system and was pretty dead set on getting the modification and was expecting to hear something in the $600 range. 

Now I’m having second thoughts. That’s probably over a grand with shipping each way when a Chambers Custom RDSM sits low enough for a cowitness, costs $300 out the door, and takes less than a week. 

Yikes, that is a chunk and a long wait. Tim Herron has gotten me into their stuff and quality is very good.