Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 Gr 9mm Minor Loads

dstroyed

Hey, Long time Reader, First time poster. Thanks in advance.

I just ordered some Kead 147 gr lead 9 mm to load up for my son. He will be shooting it in a Glock 35 with a Storm Lake 9mm barrel. I want a load that will be pleasent to shoot for him.

What are some of your favorite loads? I do want them to make Minor just in case I want to shoot it some weekend.

I have read there have been some accuracy challenges with the different powders as well with the 147gr. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

N320 makes a terrific, soft shooting load. If you are not comfortable with a powder that fast, there is published data for the slightly slower N330 and 147s. Titegroup works well, though it will tend to burn hot & thus smoke w/ lead bullets.

On page 137 of the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Manual, Second edition, there is a load with straight Clays and a cast lead bullet: 2.8 grns of Clays for a velocity of 873 FPS; I would not load this any shorter than 1.140" though & watch out for possible set-back w/ this powder as its fast burning.

I use N320 in my Sig 226 ST with 147 LRN bullets @ OAL of 1.155. I find that I can work right up to a PF of about 128. It is soft as can be, smokes a bit, and leads up a bit. I use inexpensive bullets but still get good accuracy out to 40 yards. With better bullets, I can get inch or two at 50yrds from rest. Warning again though, this is a fast powder, if you are uncomfortable loading with it, DONT. If you will be doing this, start light and work up as always.

Another favorite of many is 3.3gr of Titegroup under 147gr jacked (ball or HP) bullets. Its a soft load, accurate and reasonably clean. It is also a ways under the max load so no pressure to be too worried about. I think about 3.2 would work wonders with lead loads.

If it has a drawback is that 3.3gr of Titegroup is a VERY small charge and if you have bad loading habits you could load double or even triple load and not notice it, but that is not very likely and decent presses help with that too.

Edited by Vlad

231 is a good lead bullet powder.

TiteGroup will make you think about that cheech and chong movie...up in smoke. with lead, its bad!

VV N330 works great too.

Seems most everyone agrees that TG is going to be smokey. Would like to control some of the smoke it possible.

Man I was planning on using TG for my 40 w/ lead. I may have to reconsider. I was hoping for one powder for the both of us but no big of a deal.

If you were going to choose between 231 or N320 is the cost diff worth it??

First time for me loading and shooting a bunch of lead. Have used mostly loaded jacketed in the past. Just looking to save some money and I like the way they feel when shooting.

231 is easier to get for me...i dont care how much it costs, if i cant get it any business day w/o special order...its not gonna be my #1 choice.

BTW 231 and HP38 are the same powder and both work great for major 40s...

231 is safer than WST and that seems to be real popular for IPSC shooters.

I would try both, with the 147 requiring so little powder to meet pf, you can load 1900 rounds per pound. the cost differance of a few buck per pound shouldn't sway you.

Good point. Overlooked the obvious.

I think I have some 231 left on the shelf. Seems like a good starting point.

Thanks to all