Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loads for Hornady 45cal, 185gr HAP

mofosheee

Hello Forum

I've been looking for a start load for the bullet mentioned above to be fed into my Glock30SF (3.78" barrel)

Powders on hand; W231, Titegroup, AA2, AA5, AA7.  My preference is W231. 

Plenty  of online data for the XTP version, unable to find data for the HAP and 3.78" barrel.  

What say the experts?

Thanks again

Mofosheee,

I bought 100 of the 185 XTP’s and tested them 2 to 3 months ago in two different 5 inch guns.  For starting loads I used 4.7 grns of N310, 6.0 grns N320, 4.5 grns of WST, 5.6 grns of W231, 5.7 grns of AA2, and 8.5 grns of True Blue.  In one gun I had the best accuracy with True Blue, and then N310 and N320.  In the other I had best accuracy with AA2 and then WST and W231.  These were shot off sandbags.

5.7 AA2 was 958 FPS and 1.75” at 25 yards (7 out of 8).

5.6 W231 was 824 FPS and 1.80” at 25 yards (6 out of 8).

This was obviously a small sample size and plan to do more testing this next Spring or Summer with HAP’s.  I am going to do more testing with W231 with higher charges.  Just take this info for what it’s worth, as every gun shoots differently.

My favorite 45 bullet (and weight) is the 200 grain HAP which is extremely accurate. When I bought the 185s I noticed they had a very short bearing surface, much more so than any other 185 I’ve tested. I was concerned they would not be as accurate as my other 185s, but I was wrong.  After testing other bullets as well, True Blue is now my favorite powder and AA2 is right behind it.  A lot of reloaders like to use AA2 in short barrel guns because the powder is fast, accurate and has minimal flash with good velocities.

Regards

Edited by 85win

Mr 85win

Thanks for the info!    This gives me a starting point. 

Yes, every gun is different.  As stated, mine's a 3.78" barrel (that's what I got wrapped up on) ..............I'll use the AA#2 and chrono everything.

best regards

jerry