Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a JP5 Pistol

Comes down to how much handguard real estate you want. 8-10" is the rough optimal range for maximum 9mm velocity, so there's no performance gain one way or the other. Next time you hold a rifle, see how far your support hand extends. Pay attention to the available handguard length and select the barrel length accordingly.

If your fingers stay within the first 7.25" of the handguard, get the 8". Otherwise, go for the 10.5" barrel.

17 hours ago, SharpSS said:

Hello,

I am in the process of building a HD/Range JP5 and wanted to get your opinion on barrel size trying to decide between 8" vs 10".

any thoughts or suggestions would be appricated.

I'm a 10.5" guy. With the 8" I felt like I ran out of options for placing accessories and my relatively long arms were cramped in. 

You could get around that with an under hand guard suppressor option but that's not really as viable for competition since USPSA and other matches don't allow cans. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2022 at 11:01 AM, Darqusoull13 said:

I'm a 10.5" guy. With the 8" I felt like I ran out of options for placing accessories and my relatively long arms were cramped in. 

You could get around that with an under hand guard suppressor option but that's not really as viable for competition since USPSA and other matches don't allow cans. 

What he said. Even if you are a smaller person your run out of real estate quickly if you mount anything on the handguard.