Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jfk Airport Regulations

From what I've heard, it's okay to fly into the airport with firearms, but you can't leave the airport and go into New York. You can be arrested if you leave the airport with a firearm. So if your flight is delayed or canceled, you are sleeping at the airport.

Jesse, my brother & I flew into JFK back in '96 I beleive. We were shooting a match on long island. We were legal since we were traveling from and to a place we could possess the firearm. New York at that time allowed you to transport firearms and attend a match as long as you had the officail match invitation and it was 3 days prior to or 3 days after the match. I dont think that has changed and recall the same situation when we shot Area 7 this year in Rochester.

We had no problem entering, nobody knew we had our guns. The problem was leaving JFK. When entering the airport the baggage screening was done before you checked your bag. Bad news if you want to check a firearm. I stood there looking confused when a screener asked me if she could help. I told her we had guns and had to check them at the counter. She said we had better have a good reason to have the guns and called the port authority. I had a copy of the law and a copy of the match invitation. He said he didnt care that he would let the lawyers work it out downtown. I kept saying what we were doing was legal by state law and federal law. We also tried to be real nice. He finally said he had a good feeling about us and let us go. Get this, handed us our suitcases beyond the checkpoint with guns and ammo inside. I refused to take possession and asked for the delta crew to take the bags. All was ok after that. Never flew there again.

You can never be sure what to expect when traveling since any individual person with lack of knowledge can cause you grief if they are in the right position of authority.