Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 magwell modification

TheChef1

I recently got a canik Rival "for my wife" and have been dry firing and shot a match with it. great gun for the money but thats another topic. one thing I noticed is that the internal magwell opening Is much better than the S2 or really any gun without an external magwell ive handled. I never seem to miss a reload with it. awhile back I slightly opened up and smoothed our my P09 and im wondering if anyone has done this with a shadow 2? its hard to see from the photo but the rival has all smooth corners and is slightly flared. Im noot sure I have the balls to try it on my S2 but im curious if anyone here has.

IMG_4348.heic

On 10/25/2022 at 12:01 AM, TheChef1 said:

I recently got a canik Rival "for my wife" and have been dry firing and shot a match with it. great gun for the money but thats another topic. one thing I noticed is that the internal magwell opening Is much better than the S2 or really any gun without an external magwell ive handled. I never seem to miss a reload with it. awhile back I slightly opened up and smoothed our my P09 and im wondering if anyone has done this with a shadow 2? its hard to see from the photo but the rival has all smooth corners and is slightly flared. Im noot sure I have the balls to try it on my S2 but im curious if anyone here has.

IMG_4348.heic 936.58 kB · 14 downloads

I've been wanting to try it. I often snag my mag on the same location, and thought about taking a fine file or dremel to it. I have no quarrels home gunsmithing it but I'm not gonna just start hauling off on it, so I need to look at it closely and see what I think I can get away with. 

4 hours ago, jpm2953 said:

Never on a S2 but I’m not afraid to grind on expensive pistols apparently. I just did my brand new PM9. Installed the Stan Chen magwell and thought to myself….. that could be better. 

3C60CEF5-0510-4585-A864-823B23323528.jpeg

I've been wanting to blend the magwell on my 1911 also, maybe ill start there. you did a good job what did you use?

3 hours ago, BigHand said:

I've been wanting to try it. I often snag my mag on the same location, and thought about taking a fine file or dremel to it. I have no quarrels home gunsmithing it but I'm not gonna just start hauling off on it, so I need to look at it closely and see what I think I can get away with. 

yeah there definitely is not a lot of material on the side to work with if you start going to fast. I just think everything could be rounded out a bit. I was shocked how good the canik magwell is. doing dryfire reloads I literally cant miss. when I switch back to the S2  I get hung up left and right.

Well I decided to go for it on my iron sight S2. I’m going to send it out to get cut and recoated anyways so why not. 

I used the dremmel on low using these bits Polishing Grinding Wheels Wool/Sesame/Rubber/Cowhide Grinding Tools- Mixed Set 3mm Shank-100 Pieces https://a.co/d/1Vd5QYN started with the sanding one then rubber then wool with flitz. It wasn’t hard and took about 30-40 minutes. I went slow for obvious reasons of not wanting to ruin my gun. 

Im definitely going to win CO nationals now after that mid. It was definitely the only thing holding me back. Just kidding but I did some dry fire with both guns and I do feel like it helped a bit. Mag felt smoother going in and didn’t seem to get hung up. I may get greedy and try to open it a bit more on the front and back. Not much more I ham do in the sides but I was able to get rid of the hard angles. 

F51DCC5F-8000-40AB-815F-DD3DD874AB82.jpeg

1770BA9D-8D73-4CCF-BA99-229FC06E7FB9.jpeg

On 10/27/2022 at 11:09 AM, TheChef1 said:

Well I decided to go for it on my iron sight S2. I’m going to send it out to get cut and recoated anyways so why not. 

I used the dremmel on low using these bits Polishing Grinding Wheels Wool/Sesame/Rubber/Cowhide Grinding Tools- Mixed Set 3mm Shank-100 Pieces https://a.co/d/1Vd5QYN started with the sanding one then rubber then wool with flitz. It wasn’t hard and took about 30-40 minutes. I went slow for obvious reasons of not wanting to ruin my gun. 

Im definitely going to win CO nationals now after that mid. It was definitely the only thing holding me back. Just kidding but I did some dry fire with both guns and I do feel like it helped a bit. Mag felt smoother going in and didn’t seem to get hung up. I may get greedy and try to open it a bit more on the front and back. Not much more I ham do in the sides but I was able to get rid of the hard angles. 

Ya I like the sides like you have them, but I'd go more on the front for sure. I snag the front of the mag on the front of my gun a lot, so I'll probably go heavier there. I get worried about going to strong on the back with the main spring plunger thing sitting right there. May just round it off and polish it. 

LOL... ya I doubt any of this will ever trump practice, but neither does half of the crap I do to my guns cause I just like playing around and trying new things. 

1 hour ago, BigHand said:

Ya I like the sides like you have them, but I'd go more on the front for sure. I snag the front of the mag on the front of my gun a lot, so I'll probably go heavier there. I get worried about going to strong on the back with the main spring plunger thing sitting right there. May just round it off and polish it. 

LOL... ya I doubt any of this will ever trump practice, but neither does half of the crap I do to my guns cause I just like playing around and trying new things. 

Yeah im definetely going to have another go at the front. I snag the front often as well so id like to take it a little farther. That said ive been doing some dry fire and dont seem to be getting snagged there as is. I think I want to figure out how to clamp some kind of guide to the front so I can round it evenly and not go too far. 

Yeah after some dryfire I really can feel a difference going from gun to gun. will it make me GM anytime soon? no but any little bit helps. also I really enjoy tinkering and doing some bubba gunsmiffing so its all good.  

heres some more crappy pics of the "finished" job https://imgur.com/a/P1J4RMt

Edited by TheChef1

I took a flapper wheel to my S2 just to remove the hard edges.  Even with just a slight radius it is a night and day difference.   One downside to flaring the magwell is that I believe the gun is  no longer IPSC legal (if anyone cares).

On 10/26/2022 at 11:05 AM, TheChef1 said:

I've been wanting to blend the magwell on my 1911 also, maybe ill start there. you did a good job what did you use?

Sorry I’m just now responding. I used files mainly. The radius with a pencil grinder and a stone. Then 400 grit paper followed by a grey scotch brite pad

On 11/3/2022 at 7:12 PM, WYgunner said:

I took a flapper wheel to my S2 just to remove the hard edges.  Even with just a slight radius it is a night and day difference.   One downside to flaring the magwell is that I believe the gun is  no longer IPSC legal (if anyone cares).

interesting. I dont really shoot ipsc but maybe ill just do one gun just in case. although If it gets recoated I doubt anyone would see the difference.