Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

back after 6 years

biglog

so i recently got the bug again, after 6 years of being away. and low and behold, the production division has been decimated by the popular optics division. and here i am with a G34 and Shadow 2. so i guess if i want to actually have someone to shoot against, i'll be getting a red dot for the CZ. my question is...my CZ is not optics ready,  is there a huge disadvantage to putting on the plate that fits into the rear sight dovetail? do they work just as good, just a little higher? and what plate do i get. i am looking at Vortex and Holosun optics.  ( the G34 i can run in  for now.)

thank you

best regards

biglog

Edited by biglog

25 minutes ago, biglog said:

so i recently got the bug again, after 6 years of being away. and low and behold, the production division has been decimated by the popular optics division. and here i am with a G34 and Shadow 2. so i guess if i want to actually have someone to shoot against, i'll be getting a red dot for the CZ. my question is...my CZ is not optics ready,  is there a huge disadvantage to putting on the plate that fits into the rear sight dovetail? do they work just as good, just a little higher? and what plate do i get. i am looking at Vortex and Holosun optics.  ( the G34 i can run in  for now.)

thank you

best regards

biglog

Plates that fit the rear sight dovetail are a temporary workaround.  They tend to flex and crack or drift and are a little higher than necessary.

I don't even see the value in using them to try a slide mounted optic.  The mounting height will be quite a big higher than what you will end up with with a milled or OEM optic ready slide so it won't even be a fair comparison.

Just send your Shadow 2 slide to Primary Machine for milling and get it over with.

And forget the optic brands you mentioned.  Just get a Trijicon SRO with the 5 MOA dot and be done.

If you want to use the Shadow 2 you already have for CO, recommend yo send it to CZ Custom and get their milling job that fits the adapter plates they sell.  That way, if you want to change the optic it's a simple matter of getting a new adapter plate.  If you have someone direct mill it, you most likely can't change the optic it was milled for unless the new optic has the same footprint and even then it might not fit.  Here's a link to CZ Custom for their milling and plate system... https://czcustom.com/custom-work/s-i-rds-plate-cut-and-plate.html

Another option, if you want to use the Shadow 2 you already have, is to get a complete spare slide from CZ Custom with their milling job that uses their custom adapter plates.  That will allow you to keep your existing slide intact if you want to have flexibility to switch back and forth between optic and irons, and also keep the stock slide intact for best resale value.

For an optic, you might want to look at C-More systems RTS2B-V5 red dots.  Many top shooters in USPSA, IPSC and Steel Challenge use them and they give you a wide range of dot size to pick from, which no other optic provides to my knowledge.

Best of luck and welcome back!

thxs guys !!!   i live in phx, so i can drive  to czcustom, which is nice. .  a separate slide sounds good. until i get this project sorted, i'll just shoot  with the g34 and get my heart pumping again. thx again. all good advice. 

Edited by biglog