Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M1 Super 90 dumping shells/ shell latch

bravofox

My Benelli M1 will occasionally eject live shells out of the loading port during recoil. I disassembled it and did some looking, I don't see any abnormal wear on any of the parts in the system, so I'm defaulting to needing a new latch? is it common for shell latches to go bad on these? it probably has 1000 rounds through it.

I’ve got 10k through my M1 never changed.  If you haven’t had any load port work done, I’m guessing something is bent/broken.  I would break down and clean receiver and tube,  and see if you can see any bad parts. Also, maybe bolt release spring pinched. 

Edited by roxymajor

Ok, help us out here. How soon after it was worked on did the problem happen? Now that we know it was worked on it sounds like one of three things. 1.) The shell cut off lever has been "tuned" too far to ease loading and needs to be bent back closer to stock. 2.) The big old bolt release knob is hitting the side of the receiver and doesn't have the clearance it needs to function properly. Closer tabs are a much better way to get a bigger bolt release area without impinging on the function, not risking the dreaded release button spin. 3.) The receiver was hogged out improperly and now the shell cut off lever must be bent even further to retain shells.