Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS vs Hornady

sniper3

Been reloading for over 40 years , always on a RCBS single stage press. I want to up grade to a faster , easier machine . Can anyone tell me from experience which is better , the rcbs pro rock chucker 7 progressive press or the hornady lock n load ap press , also what else has to be purchased above and beyond , and can I use my RCBS carbide dies in either machine or are special dies required , thanks in advance

I used the rock chucker for a long time reloading rifle ammo. I moved up to the Dillon 550 years ago.   I have not used the Hornady LNL but my brother had one for years.  He visited while I was making 9mm on my Dillon 550.   He told me the LNL was kinda finicky and he had to adjust or fiddle with things to get consistent results..  Don’t know if it was just him or the way he set it up or was using  it, but he eventually sold the LNL and bought a 550.

I use a LNL if setup right they work fine loaded 107,023 rounds on the two I have so far.  Switched from a 550 to the LNL's because of the bushing setup on the LNL.  I load 12 different 38/357 bullets, so most of the time just change out the powder measure and seating die. All three presses take regular die.

007C034B-8600-4717-8DAA-40830CAC1D83.jpeg.d6930b5ea3f34369db5889dd924259b3.jpeg

Edited by dannyd

• 2 weeks later...

You can use your dies with either.  Between the two, I would definitely choose the Hornady.  All machines have their quirks and strengths, but I've read about more problems with the RCBS machines than the Hornady.  Plus RCBS doesn't really promote their progressive machines much, which leads me to believe they will eventually put them out to pasture.