Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2006 Shooting Goals

Shooter Grrl

Right now I'm unranked, due to working weekends for the last two years. My goals are:

1. Classify in A in Lim10

2. Make it to Master in 2007

3. Win two more Glocks in the GSSF shoots

4. Attend the L10 Nationals

I'm not entirely sure how to go about that last one, other than that I need to hit a lot of big matches and do well.

H.

Edited by Houngan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now I'm unranked, due to working weekends for the last two years. My goals are:

1. Classify in A in Lim10

2. Make it to Master in 2006

3. Win two more Glocks in the GSSF shoots

4. Attend the L10 Nationals

I'm not entirely sure how to go about that last one, other than that I need to hit a lot of big matches and do well.

I guess you're in a hurry with #2 ;)

For the last one, you'll also need a time machine. The L10 2006 nationals were in september :P

1)Make Master in Production

2)Complete my Masters @ WSU

3)Win my class/division in points series

Pretty cut and dry, I have implemented the training program needed to achieve these goals...the only thing left is to keep training throughout the winter until happy season starts again!

PB if you do not mind posting your training program.....sub goals to achieve your main goal......I would really like to see it. You seem to be one of the most motivated individuals on here that is closest to my current level of shooting. Up until a month ago I had the same desire and motivation but somehow have lost it. I still have the desire but the motivation is gone. I have had quite a few changes in my schedule as of late and I think that is part of it. I have not adapted my training schedule to my new life schedule. So if you do not mind helping me out as I think seeing others dedication and what they are doing may help me get it back. If you do not want to post it maybe pm me. Thanks.

PB if you do not mind posting your training program.....sub goals to achieve your main goal......I would really like to see it. You seem to be one of the most motivated individuals on here that is closest to my current level of shooting. Up until a month ago I had the same desire and motivation but somehow have lost it. I still have the desire but the motivation is gone. I have had quite a few changes in my schedule as of late and I think that is part of it. I have not adapted my training schedule to my new life schedule. So if you do not mind helping me out as I think seeing others dedication and what they are doing may help me get it back. If you do not want to post it maybe pm me. Thanks.

No problem. Please bear in mind that all of this is purely my opinion :)

1) The first step is to give yourself the knowledge that you need for success. There are four books that you MUST read if you want to win more than local matches

-Refinement and Repetition by Steve Anderson

-Thinking Practical Shooting by Saul Kirsch

-Beyond the Fundamentals by Brian Enos

-With Winning In Mind by Lanny Bassham

After reading these, hopefully your attitude towards shooting, practice, and winning will be all positive. You cannot win matches with a crappy attitude, and you will not succeed without first knowing that it is alright to succeed.

2) I fully believe in the benefits of dryfire, and have made it the fulcrum of my training. Seventy-five minutes a day, I perform the drills outlined in Steves dryfire book, followed by 70 additional reloads. Shooting Production, we reload quite a bit, and I have identified this as an opportunity skill to master.

I shoot around 600 rounds a week at the range, focusing on 20+ yrd stuff, strong/weak hand, and verifying what I learn in dryfire.

At the end of each day, I write in my shooting journal the things that I have learned and liked about my training. This helps me to fully process my progress, even if I never read it again.

3) I jog 4 times a week and daydream about getting my Master card whenever I can. I know that I will make Master in 07. I have told my friends, wife, and family that they can throw me a party when it happens. I feel the card in my hands, and hear my friends taunt

me saying "About damn time!"

That's my plan, IronEqualizer. These steps will place me in the "Triad State", and equip me to perform at my best :D

Thanks PB............I have just finished reading Saul's book and have read Brian's book as well as skimmed it a dozen times and up until a few weeks ago dry fired with Steve's book 1 to 1.5 hrs a day. I shoot 2 matches a month and live fire around 500rnds on the weekends I am not at a match. For some reason I have not been able to force myself to dry fire lately. I set my targets up put my gear on and 15min later I am losing interest. I am in the process of writing my goals down and developing a plan per Saul's book. I have been working on that for a few days. I will also be starting a journal my next live fire session. I have Steve's new book on order. :) You know I am kinda feeling better already. You guys are like shooting therapists. Maybe I just needed to talk/type to someone with similar goals to get my ass back on track. Thanks for the response and I'll see you at the top. :)

I look forward to seeing you at an Area match!

+1......I'm sure it won't be long before you have your own harem of manservants... :lol: unless of course that 1.1% bites you in the ass again......... :P yeah I remember the Tshirt pic......maybe that's what I need for some motivation.....some kind of a bet.....did you see the post about the guy whose wife beat him now he has to wear a dress to the next match? Talk about practice motivation....I don't think I will go that far though.

Just a thought on motivation... I've been spending a lot of time with my "off-season" training schedule and was thinking about this thread today (what else would I be doing in class!). I think a good motivator is to go back to the season's match results (even better if you have your stage scorecards) and really look them over. It helps to see what you didn't do well and also gives you a list of people that beat you. I know that I have a "hit list" of people that I want to beat next year. While that probably isn't the best way to think of competition, it works for some.

post about the guy whose wife beat him now he has to wear a dress to the next match

:o :o :o

If my wife beat me I would need stitches, not a dress.

No, really. She could beat the hell outa me :ph34r:

I've seen your wife, and when shes happy, she looks like a push-over.

But I wouldn't want to be around when shes mad! :ph34r:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just a thought on motivation... I've been spending a lot of time with my "off-season" training schedule and was thinking about this thread today (what else would I be doing in class!). I think a good motivator is to go back to the season's match results (even better if you have your stage scorecards) and really look them over. It helps to see what you didn't do well and also gives you a list of people that beat you. I know that I have a "hit list" of people that I want to beat next year. While that probably isn't the best way to think of competition, it works for some.

Being able to look back at your preformance is a very valuable tool, but be sure to keep it positive. Looking at tape from Area 5, I could say "Helen Keller could preform faster reloads". This might have been true, but it will only harm my self image. What I chose to say is "I am glad that I am working on my reloads. They are getting faster and smoother every day!"

My biggest motivator is getting that M card. In my mind, I already have it...all I need to do now is reach out and grab it :)

I definitely agree, being too negative in reviewing performance is only detrimental. However, if you can review your season with objectivity and glean from your mistakes things to improve on it puts you in a good position to get better and beat complacency.

I definitely agree, being too negative in reviewing performance is only detrimental. However, if you can review your season with objectivity and glean from your mistakes things to improve on it puts you in a good position to get better and beat complacency.

No doubt. I used to jsut get pissed and swear at myself during practice or a bad stage run. Out of habit now, I am able to reflect upon it as another stepping stone to better preformance.

I've definitely noticed that negativity has absolutely no place in the sport or competitive mindset. Go for it Chris, lets just hope your gun comes sooner than later! (by the way, I'm sure our paths have crossed at some point this season without knowing it... I think Benos folks should were name tags).

Edited by Z-man