Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Windows Media Player Problems

diehli

Cullen,

You have to completely remove WMP from your system and do a re-install of WMP V9. Prior to re-installing you need to trash and delete the entire WMP application and you need to trash and delete this file "com.microsoft.mediaplayer.plist" from the following directory: /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/

After deleting these files do a restart and a permission repair before doing the reinstall.

After the re-install, do a restart, but prior to using WMP for the first time use the RCDefaultApp Preference Pane to set global Filetypes and MIME types so the system will call WMP when needed.

Download the RCDefaultApp from the following link and drop it into your pref panes folder in /Library/PreferencePanes

RCDefaultApp-1.3.X.dmg

It will allow you to set MIME types for the system globally.

Set all Extensions from WM to WMA to Windows Media Player 9.

Set all MIME Types for "video/x-ms-asf" through "video/x-msvideo" to Windows Media Player 9

That oughta do it.

Let me know how it goes.

You have to completely remove WMP from your system and do a re-install of WMP V9. Prior to re-installing you need to trash and delete the entire WMP application and you need to trash and delete this file "com.microsoft.mediaplayer.plist" from the following directory: /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/

Got it. Shoulda known that these programs stick things in places where they can't be found with a simple Finder search using the program's name.

After the re-install, do a restart, but prior to using WMP for the first time use the RCDefaultApp Preference Pane to set global Filetypes and MIME types so the system will call WMP when needed.

Download the RCDefaultApp from the following link and drop it into your pref panes folder in /Library/PreferencePanes

RCDefaultApp-1.3.X.dmg

It will allow you to set MIME types for the system globally.

Set all Extensions from WM to WMA to Windows Media Player 9.

Set all MIME Types for "video/x-ms-asf" through "video/x-msvideo" to Windows Media Player 9

Linky no worky, but I downloaded it from versiontracker. I'll report back in a few once I've done these things.

I've used it on Windows and Linux with good results. It plays just about everything. It is also a media streaming server and can be remotely controlled via a built in web interface if you want to stream music between two computers on your network. Since it's open source in theory it should work better on a Mac than on Windows due to the more Unix like nature of OS X. It is worth a try.

VLC is cool, but I have WMP 9 working on all my X platforms so I don't bother with it even though I keep it onboard. WMP does work better as a browser plugin when you get it working right, but VLC is a better actual player. I just look for MMPEG/QT whenever possible.

BTW, you would have to use RCDefaultApp to change the browser MIME and filetype bindings to VLC to get it to work with your default browser on a system call from a Win Media plugin at a website.

Try the VLC player. I like it better than Windows Media Player and it is more powerful as well. It's open source so it isn't as polished as some of the big boys but it makes up for it in features.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, etc supported.

I just loaded this and it works great on my Windoze machine.... Link worked fine from the first Netherlands site....

try this...

http://www.flip4mac.com/products.htm

coolest few bucks i ever spent-allows me to play AND convert/save wmv files into Qt format. only thing with the right codecs to convert that runs on osx...mo betta.

Unfortunately they don't get great reviews at versiontracker: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26423

One of the comments says that it won't work on the system I'm running and that he can't get in touch with the developer.

try this...

coolest few bucks i ever spent-allows me to play AND convert/save wmv files into Qt format. only thing with the right codecs to convert that runs on osx...mo betta.

Unfortunately they don't get great reviews at versiontracker: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26423

One of the comments says that it won't work on the system I'm running and that he can't get in touch with the developer.

runs just fine on 10.4.3...what r u running?

try this...

runs just fine on 10.4.3...what r u running?

That... hrm. I know you're running 2.0.2 in Safari, but what QT version? The guy that wrote that comment could suffer from anal-cranial inversion.

Cullen, are you just doubleclicking the .wmv files and not getting them to open in anything, or are you actually force opening them with WMP, or VLC. You can drop the file on the icon of the application in the dock, or you can Control Click and select the app to open it in. I have seen .wmv files not opening when doubleclicked because their mime type is not recognized, whereas they would open if forced into WMP.

Do a Command I on the Windows Media Player folder in the Applications directory. See if the permissions on the folder are set to:

Owner = YourShortUserName and Read/Write

Group = YourShortUserName and Read

Other = YourShortUserName and Read

Make sure the WMP application file in the folder also has the same permissions.

Let me know if any of this gets WMP back on its feet.

Cullen, are you just doubleclicking the .wmv files and not getting them to open in anything, or are you actually force opening them with WMP, or VLC. You can drop the file on the icon of the application in the dock, or you can Control Click and select the app to open it in. I have seen .wmv files not opening when doubleclicked because their mime type is not recognized, whereas they would open if forced into WMP.

Double-clicking, drag and drop, changing the MIME settings and doing those things. Nothing works. Even tried MPlayer. SNAFU. Note it says nothing about the MIME type (an error which I've gotten in the past), only that "The specified stream type is not recognized."

Do a Command I on the Windows Media Player folder in the Applications directory. See if the permissions on the folder are set to:

Owner = YourShortUserName and Read/Write

Group = YourShortUserName and Read

Other = YourShortUserName and Read

Make sure the WMP application file in the folder also has the same permissions.

Let me know if any of this gets WMP back on its feet.

Did it. No joy. It won't even open the "Windows Media Sample.wmv".

Cullen, check this out:

Leading Space Problem

That is some of the stupidest shiitake I've ever seen. So, I had a hyphen in my hard disk name. Wasn't a problem until the latest series of upgrades (new OS, .wmv's quit working, reinstall WMP, etc.). Removed the hyphen and things are fine. Just stupid.

Microsoft............... :ph34r: