Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Giraud trimmer

Chapo

Saw a few very old threads on this but didn't want to post there.  What are your thoughts on the Giraud? Many say its inconsistent.  Have you found a better trimmer? 

I've had mine for years and the only problem I ever had was user induced.  The support from Doug is very quick and very helpful.  That being said, if you use the machine as directed, I think it's very consistent.  Like with a reloading press, take the time to set it up properly, even though mine came perfect from Doug.  Similarly, if you use fast jerky motions, you get inconsistent results.  When you insert a case, hold even pressure and give it a half twist.

I use mine for ammo for highpower, mid range, and all the way up to Palma and know others I compete with that have the same setups.  I started with a Wilson hand turned trimmer, but it was too slow and I get the same precision with the Giraud.

Started with WFT II. Still use it here and there.

I have the Dillon for bulk processing on 650. 

For precision rifle stuff, Henderson Precision. It’s awesome. But so is the Giruad. Personal preference. I liked the flow in the Henderson better. 

I used a friends Giruad and it was really nice and easy to use.  I have heard good things about the Henderson and want to get one.  The problem is they are usually sold out when I have the money.

23 hours ago, Stuey said:

I used a friends Giruad and it was really nice and easy to use.  I have heard good things about the Henderson and want to get one.  The problem is they are usually sold out when I have the money.

They are ALWAYS sold out. You have to get on his email list. When a new batch is available you'll get an email.

You gotta act quick, but at the same time they don't sell out in 5 minutes either. By the end of the day they are usually gone.

If you don't get one, you will stay on the list and each time a new batch is available you'll get an email. I missed the 1st batch I was notified of, but I wasn't in a crazy hurry either. Second time another batch came out I got one.

Todd's a nice guy. Glad to give him my business.

On 4/28/2022 at 8:13 AM, Chapo said:

Saw a few very old threads on this but didn't want to post there.  What are your thoughts on the Giraud? Many say its inconsistent.  Have you found a better trimmer? 

I just clicked on the video. I didn't realize you were talking about the drill mounted Giruad trimmer. I thought you were talking about the free standing bench model.

That's similar to the Worlds Finest Trimmer and Worlds Finest Trimmer II. I have the WTF II. I think the Giruad model chamfers and deburs too? WTF does not.

In that case there is no comparison to a bench model. Either the Giruard or the Henderson. I used to do hundreds and hundreds (if not over a thousand) pieces at time on the WFT II and my hands were screaming by the end. There just isn't any comparison to the Giruad or Henderson bench mount. I can trim brass all day with the Henderson because your fingers aren't doing the repetitive motion of pushing, and pulling, and turning. 

I have not used the Giruad bench mount, but I've been told that after awhile you start to get the same finger fatigue with the Giraud because you are still hand holding each piece of brass. That's why I went with the Henderson. With the amount of brass I need to trim, I just wasn't interested in handling the brass any more than absolutely necessary.

The bench model Giruad is still going to be better than the drill mounted version due to the stability and powerful motor.

Much of reloading is trading money for your time back. This is one of those cases for sure.

Agree.  The bench mounted one is a different animal.  Must be so much faster then the drill mounted.  But yes, the drill mounted is called the Tri-way trimmer because it, not only trims, but also deburs and chamfers.

On 4/30/2022 at 9:43 AM, Chapo said:

Agree.  The bench mounted one is a different animal.  Must be so much faster then the drill mounted.  But yes, the drill mounted is called the Tri-way trimmer because it, not only trims, but also deburs and chamfers.

I actually mounted my Giraud Tri-Way to an old bench grinder that I wasn't really using, and it's fantastic.  I would guess it's 90% as good as their bench model. 

On 5/6/2022 at 12:20 PM, Chapo said:

pretty creative, clw42.  Would love to see some pics...

Sorry, I've been on and off the forum this last week and totally forgot about this.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg