Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a new platform for stage design...

jakfrost1

Hi all, time to upgrade my iPad and looking at the new M1 chipped iPad Pro...or...the new Gen 6 iPad Mini, with 2 main uses, ONE: use Sketchup or another stage design app with the 2nd Gen Apple Pencil to design IPSC stages, and TWO, work my other hobby, photography using Raw Power for post processing. 

I have never used a 'pencil' before so not sure of the actually usability as far as stage design goes, and, I love the handy 'portability' of the iPad Mini but maybe its not suitable for either of those jobs.

Anyone been using the above devices for the stage design task? I know this isn't the ideal forum for the second task, photography editing....but hey, thats part of what I hope to be able to do with whichever of the iPads I choose, 'Pro or Mini'...

Jim 

If you want to be able to use the power of the M1 chip, I recommend getting the new iPad Air to save some money. I bought my 15 year old daughter a new IPad Mini with the new Pencil for use with SketchUp, CAD/CAM in her engineering prep class. Unfortunately, the new iPad Mini (A15 chip) doesn’t have enough grunt for her homework so she always end up borrowing my IPad Pro (newest Generation) to do her homework using sketchup and CAD/CAM.

I just ordered the new iPad Air ($100 more than the new iPad Mini but half the price compared to the IPad Pro) for her so she have her own and won’t be “borrowing” my IPad Pro. The new iPad Air comes with the M1 chip just like my iPad Pro for half the price. 

Edited by George16
Spelling

Thank you so much, this is just the kind of feedback I was hoping for…hands on experience! 
i have an iPad Air 2 but it doesn’t support the ‘pencil’, hence my interest in an upgrade. 

Jim

You’re welcome. You’d be amazed at what the M1 chip along with Pencil can do with graphic works and drawings 😉.

If the new IPad Air came out at the same time with the IPad Pro, I would have bought it instead of the Pro to save about $500😥