Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer punch sets high on XL650

Hi...I have the same situation you have described, trying to describe hasn't been easy, until you posted last year. 
My primer punch (with primer) interfere with the shell plate indexing...logic would suggest the shell plate would be located before the Primer Punch could/would move. I've never had any trouble with Primers...i.e. until the Shell Plate lagged behind. I've been through the obvious; giving the Shell Plate more clearance, recipe for disaster...so putting everything into the obviously correct settings -  back to lagging, the only helping hand was to advance the next case being inserted to complete the index. This surely can't be the answer?

Should you have found a solution...I'd be grateful to hear from you.

Thanks and Regards

Grandhaggis

• 2 weeks later...

Grandhaggis,

Unscrew the primer seating assembly from the underside of the platform. The top of the primer seating punch should not protrude above the face of the surrounding bushing. It should be somewhere between .020" below flush and flush.

If above flush, disassemble the primer seater as much as it allows ( some are pressed together, allowing you to only remove the spring) and scrub with some solvent and a toothbrush to remove whatever debris is preventing the punch from retracting fully.