Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Load With Clays.

gravedigger

If we are talking regular, plain, straight Clays, I found it mostly unsuitable for 9mm. It was not the most accurate and could not be used with 147s unless they were cast lead whcih is not usuable with the G17.

Better candidates?

V V N320 or 310 (the latter particularly with 115s)

Titegroup

HP-38 or W 231

As for Glock OAL, the optimum OAL for feeding in a Glock I beleive is 1.150" to 1.160"

Edited by Carlos

If we are talking regular, plain, straight Clays, I found it mostly unsuitable for 9mm. It was not the most accurate and could not be used with 147s unless they were cast lead whcih is not usuable with the G17.

Better candidates?

V V N320 or 310 (the latter particularly with 115s)

Titegroup

HP-38 or W 231

As for Glock OAL, the optimum OAL for feeding in a Glock I beleive is 1.150" to 1.160"

Ok so what would you guys recomend with titegroup or hp38.

Are you perhaps referring to Hodgson Clays "Universal," rather than Hodgson Clays "Clays" and Hodgson Clays "International," which I believe are used mainly for shotgun? (Yeah... whoever named these powders should be required to hold the targets for the testloads.)

If anybody has advice for using Universal Clays in 9mm with a 125 Hornady Action Pistol or 125 Zero JHP, I'd like to hear it. I was recently conviced to give this powder a try by my local dude at the gunshop since it's reputably so clean burning.

Best,

J

Are you perhaps referring to Hodgson Clays "Universal," rather than Hodgson Clays "Clays" and Hodgson Clays "International," which I believe are used mainly for shotgun? (Yeah... whoever named these powders should be required to hold the targets for the testloads.)

If anybody has advice for using Universal Clays in 9mm with a 125 Hornady Action Pistol or 125 Zero JHP, I'd like to hear it. I was recently conviced to give this powder a try by my local dude at the gunshop since it's reputably so clean burning.

Best,

J

no i was refering to straight clays which i use for my 45.

The hot setup with Titegroup is 4.2 grains under a 125 grain Zero JHP. I worked this up in my CZ-75B and it goes ~1050 fps and is sub 2 inches at 25 yards from the stock barrel. I later found out that this load is favored by Glock shooters as well.

The hot setup with Titegroup is 4.2 grains under a 125 grain Zero JHP. I worked this up in my CZ-75B and it goes ~1050 fps and is sub 2 inches at 25 yards from the stock barrel. I later found out that this load is favored by Glock shooters as well.

I'm not going to wear an "expert" hat in this forum, but I'll second this load from my experience-- it's worked the best for me so far out of my G17. 1.120 OAL. Obviously, though, I'm still looking around.

Hodgdon book max of Clays with both 115's and 124's (I used plated RNs) are super fun loads. No medals for accuracy, but they are mega-soft. You end up pretty close to the minimum power factor though...

Given how poorly Clays meters in small quantities, and how small the PF margin is, I prefer N320 or N310. If I were just plinking though, I would be very tempted to go back to the Clays loads.

While many will disagree, I'm a big fan of Clays in both .40 and 9mm. To me, its the softest powder out there when it can be used (much softer than N310/N320 or titegroup to me, and not near as dirty as titegroup). The secret to Clays is max OAL. However, I've had no luck with it for 115-125 in 9mm. No accuracy and shows pressure signs at 130pf.

In a 147gr 9mm load, it works great for me and is what I use for production. Very accurate and very soft. If you're interested in a 147gr load, my load for my gun (Glock 34): (Use at your own risk. Start around 2.7 and work up, do NOT load to shorter OAL).

3.1 Clays

147 Montana Gold CMJ

WSR primer

1.155 OAL

130pf

Crimp: I use a EGW undersize resizing die and just run it through a Lee FCD.

Given how poorly Clays meters in small quantities,
[thread drift]

If you're putting together loads that are close to 3 grains or less, consider using the extra small powder bar from Dillon. It corrected an issue I had with consistent metering of a 2.5gr of Clays load.

[/thread drift]