Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shell catcher for Stoeger M3K?

Cuz

I want to take my Stoeger M3K out to try trap shooting, but I was told I needed to get a shell catcher so as not to annoy the shooter on my right. 

Can anyone recommend one that will work with this shotgun. I have no experience with them. 

Thanks 

Edited by Cuz

You may get away with a heavy duty rubber band over the ejection port in front of the charging handle. I've never had any range require a shell catcher on a trap field. Ask to see the range rules, or find another club to try trap. 

What club told you that, Minuteman? 

Edited by Dan Sierpina

40 minutes ago, Dan Sierpina said:

You may get away with a heavy duty rubber band over the ejection port in front of the charging handle. I've never had any range require a shell catcher on a trap field. Ask to see the range rules, or find another club to try trap. 

What club told you that, Minuteman? 

Sorry Dan, I should have been clearer.  It's not required by the club.  The friends I was planning to go with said I should get one as it was basically an etiquette thing.  You know, to be polite and all.  I figured I'd just stick one of my buddies on my right and not worry about it.

But, then I got to thinking if it was an easy enough gadget to buy I might as well get one.  Aren't we always looking for one reason or another to buy a new gadget?

There used to be shell catchers for Remington 1100's, and some "universal" ones of a different design, with a spring wire contraption to snag the rim. For the Stoeger, I'm not sure  if anything is available. I shot in trap leagues for some years before moving from Mass. I sometimes used my Benelli M2 3gun shotgun, and maybe the Perazzi shooters got bumped with a hull, but, oh well. We don't all drive Mercedes or BMW's, nor have the $'s for shotguns for something we don't base our recreation time to. 

Over the years, I've shot many games with guns, and some trap shooters have been the group that would turn me off from any shooting sport. Sad to think that, isn't it?