Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SOLVED: Nicks/Cuts at Base of Pulled Bullet

anonymouscuban

Hoping you guys could help explain this. So I’ve noticed that bullets I pulled have these two nicks at the base. It’s a consistent pattern on every bullet I pull. I’ve also narrowed it down to the seating die. The bullet doesn’t have the nicks before the seat/crimp station but does after.

I have tried expanding/belling the case more and less but nothing changes. And as you can see the coating is not being shaved off during seating. The die is also not over crimping. I have it set to remove the bell. Nothing more. 

Two different bullets but they all looks similar. Also, this happens with other bullet manufacturers too. So I’ve ruled out it being an issue with the BB 147.

By the way, I’m using a Lee Seat/Crimp die. The one that is sold with the set of 3 dies.

Thanks for the help.

A9399467-884F-4ECF-86CC-2D90A6D07841.jpeg

E2C2C571-6629-47BE-A78C-4CFA7B6CAC50.jpeg

Edited by anonymouscuban

1 minute ago, Sig said:

Could it be a kinetic puller & the bullets are bouncing up & hitting the case mouth?

I didn't even consider that. I am using a kinetic bullet puller. This may be the cause. Gonna try to pull the bullet out with pliers to confirm or rule it out. Be right back. 

6 minutes ago, Sig said:

Could it be a kinetic puller & the bullets are bouncing up & hitting the case mouth?

Winner. Winner. Chicken dinner!

It is the bullet puller. I just pulled a bullet using pliers and no nicks on the base.

Thank you. You just saved me from spinning my wheels all day. 

06EF5A16-D8CF-4AFC-B48D-44D7BFA32F8C.jpeg