Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ccw Primer

Clay1

I'm looking for a good book on CCW. I am thinking of buying Armed Response by David Kenik and was wondering if any of you have read the book?

If anyone can make another recomendation on appropriate books I would appreciate it. I'm not asking for actual advice on the subject in this thread since that is not the purpose of this board, I am asking for a reference for a good book on the subject from people that I trust.

If you have a good reference for actual tactics for home defense would love to hear those as well. If you would like to make a comment that you feel is out of the scope of this forum, feel free to PM me.

Appreciate the references,

Rick

Edited by Clay1

While I have not read "Armed Response" by David Kenick, I can reccomend the following as good primers on CCW for personal protection, in a civilian, not law enforcement, context.

"In The Gravest Extreme" by Massad F. Ayoob. While it is dated in some of the firearms details (first printed in 1980) it is still very useful as a primer on the legal, moral, and tactical aspects of (quoting the cover) "The role of the Firearm in Personal Protection"

Ayoob's book covers the how, why, when and where of CCW. The chapters on "A Gun in your Home", "Self-Defense and Lethal Force", and "Common Sense About Carrying Guns" are must reads, IMHO.

"Effective Handgun Defense" by Frank W. James (2004) is a good basic book, covering the guns and ammo side, as well as holsters, in a easy to follow format.

While it's not a specific book on CCW, most states that authorize CCW have booklets, manuals, tests or something that outlines the legal aspects of carrying weapons in that state. Ignorance of the Law is not a valid defence of actions taken, so knowing the local law is a must.

Thanks for the nice reviews WLKtheDuk. Appreciate the info. I should own Massad's book since I took a Stressfire I course this fall.

I think that Gabe Suarez also has written a few works, haven't read them but I would bet that they are good.

Rick

I second Massage-A-Boob's work, "In The Gravest Extreme". It should be required reading for anyone getting a CCL.

It specifically does not deal with such issues such as gun or ammo or holster selection as it assumes you have already made these choices. Instead it deals with the events before and after an armed encounter. Though dated, it offers very valuable advice on how to handle confrontations that may/will lead to the employment of firearms for self-defense.

...Mark

Edited by ima45dv8

Another vote for "In the Gravest Extreme".

Like some of his videos the book has set a precedent and been used as evidence in court cases. So according to him they really can't be changed even if they are somewhat out of date.