Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Hammer - Tall

TimBoettcher

So I purchased a Walther / Colt .22 for my daughter a couple years ago. One of the hammer hooks broke off so I replaced the hammer with a EGW hammer and I’m noticing that the slide barely cocks the hammer. I noticed the cheap MIM hammer that came with it si approximately.015” taller (see pic) than any of the hammers I use… Anyone know of a taller tipped hammer on the market?

A1246403-6C54-4897-AECA-357369698C24.jpeg

A little background on this pistol... The slide is aluminum as well as the frame, so the fit is poor at best. The underside disconnector rail on the slide resembles the standard slide but is higher up inside the slide. It has no firing pin stop and that area is rounded up into the disconnector rail. Hammer hooks are at .019" and sear engagement are perfect. The Koenig hammer and EGW sear that are in it are ok but the hammer could be a few thousands taller to make sure the hammer is pushed past the sear nose. A standard 45 or 9 would have the velocity to ensure the engagement happens but this 22 is, well, it's a .22 lol

Tim 

This used to be an issue with Wilson hammers and sears back in the day.  The sears were long (intentionally), so that they could be fit with minimal over-cock.  If you didn't know about that spec, it was frustrating...