Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S2 Extended Firing Pin vs light FP spring

TacticalHobo

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I searched and nothing recent turned up.

My first shadow sports lots of upgrades, including the CZC extended firing pin and Rami spring. I just got my second shadow tuned up with lighter springs and a polish job, and realized I didn't get the extended firing pin when I got some light strikes on CCI primers.

Giving the firing pins a closer look, I see that even the stock one can extend super far past the breech face. This got me thinking, would just changing the spring be all I need for reliable ignition? I know a pin is only $20-25, but hey, that's the fee for a local match.

3 hours ago, TacticalHobo said:

realized I didn't get the extended firing pin when I got some light strikes on CCI primers.

CCI primers need to be fully seated. Our Shadow 2 with an extended FP and a 11# hammer spring is right on the edge of 100% ignition.

I personally believe if you're fully into competition then go 100% with the gun. If not, don't spend more than is minimally necessary to enjoy the match.

Otherwise purchase the extended pin and spring.

The UZI comment is silly BTW.

To me, the best option is ultimate firing pin...

I have some light strikes with extended firing pin and lighter spring, so I switched to ultimate fp and it works like a charm...

One more thing: extended fp with lighter spring makes gun dangerous for carry with bullet in chamber and hammer down position... fp little touches primer, I can see that when I try my laser training ammo...

Sorry for bad english, I hope you can understand...