Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Muzzle Flash?

FRKN9

I've been looking for information about the amount of muzzle flash from 9mm in barrel lengths measuring in the 11"-16" range.  Have tried looking it up on youtube and searching it on-line and there's little to no information.  Mostly what comes back is offers to buy flash cans or fake suppressors.  It seems to me flash (measured in lux I believe) out of 9mm barrels in this length range would be minimal to non-existent due to the powder burned off.  That said, I can't seem to find anything that supports or refutes this hypothesis.  I'd appreciate feed back or a point in the right direction if anyone has information on this.

When we tried to get night content it was pretty abysmal. We used a JP tactical comp (flash hider / comp) and a JP 3 port comp on 14.5" barrels. Neither was particularly flashy. An Omega 9k on a 10.5" had nonexistent flash for reference.  

Like Shred mentioned, most of the powder is pretty well burned off. If we knew why you were interested in flash we could probably provide more perspective. 

I'm not a re-loader, at least not yet.  I save my brass based on the possibility I may want to get into all that at some point in the future however that's not related to my flash question.  My use of 9mm ammo is varied from low grain weights of 55-60 clear on up to to 147-150.  The ammo type varies based on application and is sometimes FMJ, TMJ, or JHP.  I'm primarily a fan of 9mm for 2 reasons, availability and a wide range of types.  When it comes to muzzles in all cases across all firearms, I always do what I can to minimize flash as much as possible short of the suppressor route.  I just have a personal preference for as little flash as possible in all situations.  I would never consider buying a brake unless that was a secondary function to excellent flash suppression (Surfire Warcomps or SOLGW Nox for examples).  I'm not looking for a specific information set about a specific use.  With considering a rifle length build or purchase in 9mm there are positives and negatives.  In theory I believe one of the general positives is that muzzle flash will be minimal because of the powder likely being burned off by the time the bullet reaches the end of a 16" barrel.  Aside from exiting the "will they or won't they" take braces away hoopla, the potential lack of muzzle flash at rifle length for a 9mm is a huge plus for me.  The thing about theories and firearms is that sometimes what seems to make sense on paper doesn't actually take place in application.  I suppose I was just hoping to find some sort of a 9mm rifle at night video demonstrating muzzle flash with a few different round types to see if there was merit to my theory.  Seems, based on what you folks have had to say, that yes indeed muzzle flash is generally minimal in a 16" 9mm.  I was just hoping someone would say......here's a video link for exactly what your looking for.  Seems though that testing flash lux on 9mm rifles is too low of a priority for anyone to actually do it and post a video.