Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying with multiple guns

So next year I'm likely going to be flying to CMP for the WSSC (this past year I drove the 14 hours).  Since I'm hoping to get in 3 or 4 guns I was wondering if anyone else has flown with their rifle or pistol bags in a hard-sided golf bag case?  To me it makes more sense since the guns are still in the cases that I plan on taking to the range.  If you have done this, did you add extra padlocks to the outside of the case since the keys for these cases can be ordered online?

2021-07-19 10.03.22.jpg

2021-07-19 10.03.04.jpg

Edited by bigdawgbeav

that's essentially what i do for my 3gun travel, i got the idea from Dan Sierpina who's been traveling that way for a decades.  i use the straight body skb golf shell with a 48" soft  bag for the 2 long guns and 3 other pockets for pistol and essential mags, like cz czechmate mags since nobody else will have them to borrow. comes in just under 50 pounds too, with a dissident kl12 shotgun and 9.5 pound ar. i exchanged all the latches to keyed latches, and i lock the zippers inside with non tsa locks, though i've been thinking of building external riveted panels for keyed locks outside instead. 

two things i've learned doing it is that the bottom flat end wants some reinforcement so i made a wooden plate that sits flat against it, and even though it's rather incognito through an airport compared to a pelican case, it can be TOO incognito like the time some a-hat grabbed it from oversize bag area and started walking away thinking it was his golf bag, thank god i was right there.  it's got a few small but obvious stickers adorning it now. 

11 hours ago, DavidSeavey said:

that's essentially what i do for my 3gun travel, i got the idea from Dan Sierpina who's been traveling that way for a decades.  i use the straight body skb golf shell with a 48" soft  bag for the 2 long guns and 3 other pockets for pistol and essential mags, like cz czechmate mags since nobody else will have them to borrow. comes in just under 50 pounds too, with a dissident kl12 shotgun and 9.5 pound ar. i exchanged all the latches to keyed latches, and i lock the zippers inside with non tsa locks, though i've been thinking of building external riveted panels for keyed locks outside instead. 

two things i've learned doing it is that the bottom flat end wants some reinforcement so i made a wooden plate that sits flat against it, and even though it's rather incognito through an airport compared to a pelican case, it can be TOO incognito like the time some a-hat grabbed it from oversize bag area and started walking away thinking it was his golf bag, thank god i was right there.  it's got a few small but obvious stickers adorning it now. 

Glad to hear some experience.  I went with the case I have above simply because it was used and got it off Craigslist.  Didn't see the need to buy a brand new case, although the new cases have the bump out on the lid.  But the one above I can still fit 3 rifle cases, pistol case as well as ammo and mags.  But makes it really heavy.  When traveling by car, that's fine.  When I'm ready to fly I'm going to have to make some adjustments.  

Another reason for going with the older style is that the new cases have TSA locks.  So it's bad enough that you can easily get the latch keys online (that's what I had to do), but at least the TSA can't open it without forcing it.  Also why I'm looking at adding padlock hasps to the exterior with bolts instead of screws.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-6-1-2-in-Zinc-Plated-Hinge-Safety-Hasp-20267/204727561

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you @DavidSeavey for the Dan Sierpina in.  Reached out to him to pick his brain and realized that I might have been over-thinking the idea of adding extra hardware.  If someone wants to steal the case and break it open, some added latches aren't going to stop that.  This solution really looks good based on how much you can fit in the case and that it doesn't look like you are flying with firearms.  Just don't plaster it with a bunch of stickers...